Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching mums in Russia - absolutely or absolutely not?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Teaching mums in Russia - absolutely or absolutely not?! Reply with quote

Hi, I've been thinking of going to Russia to teach for quite some time but the conditions advertised don't seem very inviting. It was interesting to read some of the comments here re wages and looking for work. Does anyone have experience of living off teaching in Russia whilst supporting a family? Can anyone tell me anything about their experiences with young children there? I'd like to hear how you managed health care, daycare, accommodation and babysitting etc. I'm not sure that Russia is really a viable option for us, my child is only 3. Any pointers or comments are very welcome.
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Theresa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Think twice about it Reply with quote

I spent three months in Moscow and not as a mother wih a child to support but I will say the following: dont even think about it unless you can afford private medical cover for you and your child. Also be aware of the fact that Russians are culturally very different to Westerners and so youre child whilst benefitting from learning a second lang at an early age will also acquire their weird and whacky culture. Personally I wouldnt do it.If you want more info send me a private message
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: weird ? Reply with quote

Teresa -

"their weird and whacky culture"

Not very culturally sensitive !

However you are probably right to advise the inquirer with the young child to stay away from Russia.

What does Kent K. have to say to this ?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: it depends ... Reply with quote

Hello Trojan Horse et al:

"What does Kent K. have to say to this?" Very Happy

Well --- first of all, this is probably a good time to mention that I'm heading back to Asia in a few weeks. After 3 good years in 'small-town' Russia, I've decided that I need a change of scenery. Big City life beckons ... giant roaches, industrial pollution, traffic jams from Hell, kids pointing and staring at the strange white man from another galaxy. Ah yes! I can see it all so clearly now.

Regarding Trojan Horse's question: Based on the typical EFL contracts offering $550 to $750 per month w/ shared housing, I would certainly not recommend arriving in Russia with the intention of supporting a family.

On the other hand, Trojan Horse does not mention in her post if her husband is coming along for the ride, and if he would be qualified and willing to teach as well? Having two bread-winners in the family would change the equation a bit.

In other words - more information is needed from the OP before jumping to a hasty conclusion. Cool

Warm regards,
kENt
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Think twice about it Reply with quote

Theresa wrote:
youre child whilst benefitting from learning a second lang at an early age will also acquire their weird and whacky culture.

Hi Theresa, exactly! I'd love to hear all about it and the experiences you've made, I've sent you a long-winded PM! Sorry I got carried away..
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: weird? Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
How do you post replies to individual messages on this board?! There seems to be no icon on the messages for replying directly - or am I just dense?

Anyhow I was just wondering what your impression of schools was (not TEFL, but the regular school system for children) From what you've seen/heard how do they shape up?

My main reason for going to Russia is to give my daughter the chance to pick up Russian. I'd pay for private health care probably anywhere I went with children, just to be on the safe side. From what I've gathered here and elsewhere I think TEFL is probably out, I would in any case have to dig into my savings to get through a year comfortably, that much is clear!

I think we may just try going there on holiday in May or June and staying 4-6 weeks for a start. At this stage, I'm just looking into it and thinking about what's a likely option.

Sandra
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: it depends ... Reply with quote

I'm heading back to Asia in a few weeks. ]
Hi Kent, thanks for your reply. Good luck to you back in Asia! My main interest in going to Russia is curiosity about the place on my part and giving my daughter, who is half-Russian, the chance to acquire Russian fairly effortlessly. We all know what a drag it is to battle through it as an adult! Groan - and still never get very far with it Cool
Well from what I've read, I'd say the best thing is to go there for a language course/longer stay in summer, live off savings and see if I can do the odd hour of teaching here and there.

My Russian is not good enough to obtain well-paid work in Russia and I enjoy teaching English so it would have been a nice option. I'm not the right person for existing on a shoestring with a child in tow though! Rolling Eyes
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: İn my defense! Reply with quote

Scot- İm the first to be culturally sensitive but that only works when everyone else is playıng the same game
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Russian ? Reply with quote

But when you are on Russian turf you have to play it by Russian rules !
Did you learn Russian ? Or did you expect to get by without it ?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Teresa, you could always try Turkey !
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: ER yes Reply with quote

So youve located me Scot! To answer your questıon I dıd pıck up quıte a lot of Russıan when I was there ( and had taken a few Russıan classes when I was ın Parıs). That wasnt the problem. It was major culture shock and lonelıness. I went to work and spent 10 hrs a day wıth only a four year old to talk to ın a fully staffed house . There were two partıcularly nasty women who trıed to make my lıfe hell. Then Id go home to Planernaya ( at the end of a metro lıne ) ın the cold and the dark to an area populated by Chechens and Azerıs for the most part.And no Im not beıng racıst ıts just that are desperate people and are so capable of anythıng. After about 9.30 at nıght ıt wasnt partıcularly safe to walk around at nıght on my own. It was truely horrıble. Now that Im ın Turkey I have frıends and I feel safe. You are free to crıtısıze me of course but Moscow ıs the unfrıendlıest place I have ever been .
anitka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, probably you can think that I'm not a very reliable source of info, being a native Russian. But I'm not very patriotic. In fact, I'm going to emigrate if things are going to be ok Wink

Anyway, I don't believe that a person didn't find a single soul to communicate with in a huge megapolis! There are no areas inhabited mainly by the Chechens, well at least not in Moscow. Maybe, in Chechnya there are some Laughing There are some districts where it can be dangerous to walk at night, but you can say the same about New York, can't you?

And mind you, Moscow is very European, but it's a megapolis, so people don't care about you much unless you are their friend.

Personally I don't think that you can't bring here a child, the main problem here is money, I believe. Well, if you have enough money everything is possible.
waxwing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anitka wrote:

Anyway, I don't believe that a person didn't find a single soul to communicate with in a huge megapolis!

Language barrier. If you take a job in another country, never forget how important this can be! The nature of your work becomes very important. If you can make social contacts at work, who speak your language, it can make all the difference. If you can't, you're in a huge, unfriendly city where you can't speak to anyone. Crying or Very sad

anitka wrote:

Personally I don't think that you can't bring here a child, the main problem here is money, I believe. Well, if you have enough money everything is possible.

The original poster (probably) understood this. I guess the problem is that she didn't know exactly how much is enough Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: