Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reality check

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: That totally makes sense Reply with quote

It totally makes sense, that is why the president have to beg for everything from the Qatari(s). Yet, they are lying to recruit people when they are saying it is a Canadian organization. It is still good place for EFL people to work, as long as one does not care about really teaching the students. You put in your 4 hours a day, go have a drink by the pool, play golf/hockey, travel the world - life is great. Just keep your eyes and ears shut and do not question anything. Enjoy the ride while it lasts, it isn�t going to last long. A lot of programs are already dying - not enough students. I don't know which smart ass thought that nursing and paramedicine type programs going to fly here! Did CNA even come here and talk to some of these prospective students to get an idea before jumping in?

By the way we still did not get our raise. It has been delayed by over a month so far because they (NF) could get all of the data in the system. WORLD CLASS!!
lukey

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

Well, working at CNAQ says a lot about the power of money.One employee still there said it is "a hard place to work" since you really have to ignore everthing that is happening there -which gets rather tiring. You realize what a terrible place it is to work once you leave the place and look back. I make less money now but the atmosphere is so much better.
I know that CNA did not put much planning into the programs when they first arrived - they just did what the Qataris told them to. The first programs were (and they are still in place) IT, Business, and Engineering. It has turned out that Business has their highest enrollment so along with ESL - which most students take it is basically an ESL/Business School not a world class Technical College as they like to spout. No Qataris want to go into Engineering. - the faculty is just there for show. In the fall of 2004 the Emir and his wife visited the Engineering buildings - before the entire new campus was opened. He was told that registration was lacking - he then "ordered" companies in Qatar to send people to the Engieering faculty - do you think these students were motivated to go there??REmember "show" is the most important thing in Qatar. I don't know if people know that when CNA first came in 2002 they brought two - yes two! ESL instructors - now ESL instructors are half the faculty - around 150!!! Great planning eh? The Qataris told them - yes, we speak English - no need for ESL programs. After CNA arrived the Qataris said we want Health Sciences, Banking program, and Security Training and CNA did what they were told.Qataris in Health Sciences? Security Training?
Oh and can anyone at CNAQ tell me about the status of the employee's fight for end of service money? I heard the three employees who sued for the money won the court battle? Is CNA going to pay? I assume it will cover all employees from the beginning? Some info would be appreciated
lukey

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot - Nursing - CNAQ installed a pre-nursing program to go along with the University of Calgary's Nursing program which I think has started - I wonder if the Qataris are lined up to be nurses? Smile
Reality check

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: CNAQ is appealing the court ruling Reply with quote

Yes, they have won the initial case, but CNAQ is in the process of submitting an appeal. So, no payout yet. In a latest very confusing e-mail from KB Twisted Evil , it has been mentioned that CNAQ will start withholding a portion of employee's salary to be paid out as end-of-service benefit to them. They are withholding my money to pay me later (may be). Total CPP style.
Reality check

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Nursing Reply with quote

Hamad is sponsoring a lot of non-Qatari students in that program. I guess they came to their senses.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CNAQ is appealing the court ruling Reply with quote

Reality check wrote:
it has been mentioned that CNAQ will start withholding a portion of employee's salary to be paid out as end-of-service benefit to them. They are withholding my money to pay me later (may be). Total CPP style.

Now that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have read yet. Teachers paying their own end of service gratuity. Rolling Eyes Take their selfish foolish asses right back to court teachers!!

VS
lukey

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: End of Service Reply with quote

Another example of CNA's mean spirited treatment of employees - Lets duke it out in the courts!! Oh and by the way - its not an end of service "bonus" as it should be - we are going to withhold part of your salary to make sure you stay! Trying to stem the tide of "runners" maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: