Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nova Mova Langauge School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lubchka6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Nova Mova Langauge School Reply with quote

Hi! Anybody know anhything about Nova Mova Language School in Kiev? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Nova Mova Reply with quote

I have heard of them but nothing very interesting either way. Hopefully, that doesn't sound like I am trying to damn them with faint praise. My impression was that they were/are small but may be trying to expand a bit for more visibility. I have noticed a couple of advertisements for them and their name came up in questions like, "What do you know about..." Don't take that too negatively though. Simply there are a LOT of language schools operating here. I will try to nose around a bit today and see what I can find out.

If you are thinking of coming to Kyiv or Ukraine there are opportunities and quite a lot of interesting experiences here. It is closer to the edge than some people are comfortable being but you can still find comfort and a good meal after you learn where to look. The language market in Kyiv is full of small and medium-sized schools. From the students' viewpoint, quality is difficult to determine and price/schedule end up being the primary factors when locals are picking their first language school/teacher. After they gain some exposure, they build a network of other students and find a program that suits them. There are independent teachers, a couple of larger schools, corporate programs, medium-sized operations and even some NGO/church-sponsored programs to choose from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lubchka6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Nova Mova Langauge School Reply with quote

Thanks for your post! I am planning to come to Kiev sometime soon. What did you mean by "closer to the edge than some people are comfortable with?" Is it safe?
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Closer to the edge Reply with quote

Oh, it's as safe as any American city I can think of (and safer than a couple for sure). No gunfire or murders, few robberies, occasional pick-pockets and con games for the unwary but safe. The edge involves, different language, political variations, economic transition, different alphabet (as opposed to rest of Europe for instance) plus all the "new" things you find in a different country. It is certainly more uncertain and less stable than say, Czech Republic or Poland, but a LOT less so than Kosovo, a little less than Georgia and so on. Just as in Russia you can stay in the capital or really get immersed by working in the smaller cities where there are far fewer expats and you have to learn the language to eat and get around. Read the other threads on this forum for more info on Ukraine or PM me if you are looking for some options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Went by and checked these guys out Reply with quote

for you. Looks like a pretty sound operation. Talked with the co-owner and met some of the staff and they are a cut above the norm. Bright, cheerful (both the people and the office) and refreshingly open. They do both group classes at their office as well as in-company work with reputable corprate clients. The pay rates are fair for the market and, very important, they seem to have the long point of view about being in business.

They are making an effort to expand and intelligently develop their operation. As far as the aberage Ukrainian language school operation, I would rate them a B+ with solid potential.

Just one man's opinion.
lubchka6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hey! Thanks for your post (again). I can't believe you actually went down there. Smile I'm probably going to take a job with them some time this spring, and your opinion definitely calmed some of my fears and also made me pretty excited to work there. Thanks a lot!
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: No poblem Reply with quote

happy to help. Let me know if you get here and I will introduce you to the half-dozen or so guys who get together for coffee on Sunday mornings.

If the Russian thread guys get their Teachers' Association together maybe we will emulate them and setup the Ukraine equivalent.
lubchka6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed. I've been around for a few weeks hoping to run into you but it hasn't happened yet. Hope everything is going well. Give me a ring if you have some free time or you want to meet you. My cell here is +380 93 6726183. Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: