Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boland TEFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christopherjames67

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Boland TEFL? Reply with quote

has anyone taken this course? heard about it? is it reputable? any other courses more reputable or seen as better choices?

my fist choice is italy but it seems i might be better off going somewhere else, getting a certificate and experience and then moving to europe.

so how hard is it for an american to get work in china? i'm game to come but it's a big move, so i was wondering what to expect.

thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this from the Boland School. Looks like things are good there!
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you folks actually gone through the training at the Boland School? I have been offered a position as Head TEFL Trainer, so would like to know how folks feel about the program.
jgziegler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: I've posted this elsewhere... Reply with quote

...But to help anyone who might happen upon this forum, here it is again.

this program is a complete rip off and these are reasons why (I am a grad):

1. For the same/similar price, you can get a CELTA which is recognised in more places.

2. You don't really learn how to teach, but, as one grad and former instructor there said, "how to teach at crappy schools like Boland'

3. When asked if they have qualification, grads have always responded: "Well, Boland, but that doesn't really mean much"

4. I know a few grads (including myself) who have later got CELTA. The two programs cannot really be fairly compared. CELTA is just that much better.

5. Boland changes trainers every few months. If the school and program were so good, then why would its trainers leave after a few months?

This is not a slight against anyone who has or currently is working there. Rather, this is to help improve the quality of teaching by warning against poor qualification programs.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at old posts, seems like you're in the minority. Most think it's very professional and helpful.
Steppenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But naturegirl, it's now 3 years since your last post. How can you be so sure Boland is still as good as it was during your training there?

I have serious doubts!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. However, the other teachers who have posted seem to think highly of it.
dajiang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the course a few years ago and it has helped me very much. Learned lots of good stuff and did prepare me quite well for teaching anywhere. The diploma was accepted anywhere I went, so i'd say it's not as rubbish as jgziegler thinks.

The teachers there were great fun to be with, and Katie is a very nice person to deal with.

Of course I also dont know about their current state of affairs, but just contact Katie and ask if you can talk to any of the current students there, or any fresh grads.

True though, CELTA is just about the same price and I probably would have done that if there'd been any place in China that would have offered it. At the time there wasn't though.

All in all no regrets and I got my money's worth.

Dajiang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: