Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20,000 dollars in Cambodia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnInKorea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
khmerhit wrote:
flat 100-250
beer 400
food 300
other 250

= 1200/month, minimum, plus or minus

Cambodia. Try it and See. Cool

$400/month for beer! $300/month for food! You must be on a liquid diet.

No kidding! I know some people like to drink a lot, but Howie's beer budget is double his rent! Wink
Green Acres

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some confidence. There is a job for you here, and with your previous experience, you will be able to teach at a university as well.

You might not save any money, but then again, money isn't everything.

As well, you could keep a foot in both worlds, maybe working a semester at a time, or perhaps at a camp during the winter, or something like that.

I don't know, to be honest, I thought we were suppose to work until we die. lol
markustm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Fan the Fire, do not Jump into It Reply with quote

Sounds like you have had enough of Korea, and just want a year off.

20.000 US$....Lets see

Get an easy job at a language school in Indonesia or China. You can spend what you earn, and still last through the month.

Bank the rest or invest in a cheap foreclosed income property. The Western world is full of this property. You can buy an apartment in Berlin for 10.000 US, or a house in Detroit. Maybe land in a Country like Greece, its sure to go up.

Wasting 20.000 on beer, women and the good life is not a great idea. Times are changing, work and waste the money you earn. You can't do that it Cambodia.

Indonesia or China offers free housing, and you can live well on 10jt a month, and party as good as in Cambodia.

Times are changing

If the West cannot pull out of its credit economy, and create something new, will people need English in the future?.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. English is bigger than "the West" now. It's how people communicate with each other in international business regardless of the origins of the language.
Anyway, interesting thread, shame it stopped - I'd like a change of scene and Cambodia is intriguing.
winterwawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually forgotten about posting this thread and came across it today. A little update. I am now 56, have 50,000,000 won (about 45,000 USD) and am fighting with immigration to get a PR VISA. Will know next month if I win the VISA.

I am not counting on getting the VISA, so have cut back on my teaching and am getting some much needed rest. Cambodia is still an option either way. If I get the PR VISA I can do both or continue doing privates and save another 45 - 50 grand in the next 9 years.

If I don't get the VISA, then I will have to decide what country I want to go to next. I have never considered South America, but it something to think about.

As for editing on line, that is not for me. I like teaching and would get bored with a computer job.
travelNteach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to consider is the high interest rate paid by cambodian banks. most offer 2% or more on regular savings accounts in us dollars. u can get fixed term deposits ranging from 30 days to 3 years and interest rates ranging from 3% to just over 7%. if u have a 3 month visa or longer, u are taxed at the resident rate of 6% on the interest. if u dont have this, u are taxed at the foreigner rate of 14%. no tricky investing to figure out or calls/commissions to brokers. just let the money roll over. after opening a savings account, u can wire money there whenever u want with instructions to open new fixed term deposits. with the 50,000 you already have at 7%, u would have 3,500 interest next year. if u add another 15-20,000/year and allow them to keep rolling over yaerly, u would have about 250,000 dollars when u want to retire in 9 years. that would give u over 20,000 in interst/year after u retire. u could live a comfortable lifestly on that without touching your principle. of course this assumes that interest rates will stay at 7%. i think within a few years 5% will be the best u can find. so u might want to lock in long term if u can.

seems u are enjoying life a little more in korea these days. good for you. and thanks for the update
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: