Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The low down on working in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
linebacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: The low down on working in Qatar Reply with quote

Hi folks. Just wanted to add my two cents worth in the age old debate -CNA-Q and the work environment. I personally do not mind it. It is a great job. Most of my students are polite and respectful. I have less than 20 contact hours a week - the remaining hours are office hours. I have one day with one class, then its finished for the day! I am paid a great salary. My accomodations are free (but not the best), utilities are free and a bus takes my child to school. I don't really worry about the management - I can't change that anyway. I feel for the poor immigrant workers, and try to help out as best I can - generous tips for washing car, serving meal etc...I realize that I can't change the way things are done here. Hey, things weren't so great in Canada either!

In terms of saving money while working here, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. We are able to transfer money to Canada each month (this is above and beyond of my salary) since my wife works in Qatar as a local hire. The money is not great compared to, Canada but her NET income is around the same!

I guess my only complaint would the the HR experience. It seems that they are very selective in the information they provide. They only hype the good things and do not caution you about the negatives. For example, the Canadian school did not offer grade 10 this year. This would not be an issue if parents had time to find alternate schools. CNA-Q administration informed parents in JUNE that grade 10 would not be offered. What were parents to do. Many scrambled to find an alternate school. As I said before, there is enough stress moving here with children, the college should not add to that!

whew! that was a long post. Feel free to comment or ask questions - I don't mind sharing.

Out.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Qatar for about 10 years and still enjoy living here although had some upheavals with my ex. Lots of interesting people and things to do if you know what you're looking for. Main problem is high cost of living and poor salaries. Rents are outrageous so you need a job with accomodation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: