Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freelance English Teaching Visa or Language Course Visa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicomachean

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Freelance English Teaching Visa or Language Course Visa? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am torn between applying for a freelance visa to teach English or applying for a language course visa.

I will be moving to Heidelberg in August and have had some positive responses from schools that want to contract me on a freelance basis to teach business English. However, my German skills are very basic and I am wondering if I should take a German language course for a few months to get up to speed and then apply for a freelance visa.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

C.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i am certain you need a job offer before you can even think of applying for a free-lance visa. the immigration office will not give it to you without prospect of job or some sort of super savings account with at least 10,000 euros in it. your savings is something else you need to consider when applying for a language course visa. depending on how much you have, and how much time you have to study german, you can receive a 2 year visa to study german with the intention of university studies which allows you to work during the semester holidays and 90 days during the second year, and you don't have to be an english teacher. i don't know if you can convert any student visa to a free-lance work visa after-the-fact, and it would be interesting if anyone with that experience would be able to tell you, cause i'd also like to know.

do you already have your qualification, because if you do, then i would just go for the free-lance, that is if you have a prospect as well. you can always do german at the same time of course.
puhutes

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my other response to your other message for more information. I am a Canadian currently living in Germany on a "youth visa" teaching English. To answer your question... the Germans really prefer it when you can speak German. It doesn't have to be perfect, but a basic knowledge would really help you out. I don't really know where you are in Canada, but I am from Ottawa. I applied for the Youth Visa and received a 20% discount for a course with the Goethe Institute in Ottawa... that really helped a lot Smile But my level of German is already C1 or higher. Good luck!
LG Jennifer
Deicide

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The myth of the freelance visa...

Good luck in trying to get one... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: