Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University of the Middle East
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At bottom of AUM web page:

AUM & ACM

AUM maintains a close professional relation with the American College of the Middle East as a sister institution.

The American College of the Middle East (ACM) is a private two-year career college offering degrees in the areas of Business, Information Technology, Health, Hospitality Management, and Engineering Technology. ACM programs are occupationally focused providing students with real business experience and practical skills needed in the job market. The college seeks excellence in applied education through balancing academic preparation, hands-on activities, and engagement with industries. ACM is following the best practices in applied higher education, and responding to the important changes within relative industries and job markets. For more information please visit
miski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miski hangs her head in shame and says sorry for being a numbskull......
2 weeks holiday...( boredom-I love work)......2 under 6s in the house.....to-ing and fro-ing them to summer school every day......and I've given up meat. Oh and it's 50 degrees C out there.
My head is going round in circles...........picture that.

Embarassed
GulfProf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The billboards I see everywhere in Salmiya have "VDS" all over them: "Very Dedicated Student." This has got to be the dumbest ad campaign I've ever seen! Shocked

For those of us who came of age in the 60s and 70s and took health ed. classes in high school, "VD" has a slightly less positive meaning...
miski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bit of cosy at the minute with AUM's advertising policy in Kuwait! You'll have seen all the billboard ads ....

'' I am proud to be a VDStudent''..........WHAT????

VD???? !!!!

So firstly, students are being associated with an STD , and if that wasn't bad enough, apparently some of the students up on the boards 1) weren't told their faces would be up there and 2) don't actuall attend AUM. They are at GUST.

LOL- who is the eejit who does the AUM marketing?

And latest is that their 'campus' isn't at Egaila but in an office block in Sha'ab.

Curiouser and curiouser.
ecucator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: AUM again Reply with quote

AUM contaced me for an interview and rescheduled about four times and then I finally was interviewed. I was told someone else was going to call me for a second interview in a week. I received an email to reschedule the second interview by one day. No one ever called . It has been two weeks now. Mystery???????????????????????????? They did not explain why they did not call. I posted this to share my experience and to see if someone else has had the same experience.

Last edited by ecucator on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, high-quality employer... Rolling Eyes

NCTBA
grab-bag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual starting up problems - disorganization, staffing, housing, salaries, etc. Not an auspicious start and a place to be avoided for the moment. I know two teachers who have resigned and are going to work in other Gulf countries.

They need to get their act together. The problem often is hiring people who have been booted out of other insitutions to run place- they have been let go for a reason. Directors who flit from university to university usually have been fired, often for incompetence or management issues. There is some talk of this going on here. Kuwaitis just don't get it - not every American administrator is who they think he is.
ecucator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab-bag, Thank you very much. This explains to me a lot of things such as their rescheduling, lack of communication etc .... I am glad it did not work for me:)
farangman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the pay like at the American College of the Middle East? Any advice on this place?
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like gust and ack, 900-1300 kd base + + +
BUT UNLIKE GUST AND ACK , AUM MAKES TEACHERS STAY ON CAMPUS 8-3+ REGARDLESS OF LOAD
thumb in , thumb out, draconian management and big brother watching you and monitoring the phones
farangman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Does this apply both to AUM and ACM? I'm interested in ACM only.

Thanks.
farangman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Does this apply both to AUM and ACM? I'm interested in ACM only.

Thanks.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acm only - no professor in their right mind would accept these terms
disregardedknowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Behavior Reply with quote

I have heard that this university will have a preparatory English program for students who desire to enter a credited program with the university. Can anyone tell me how these students were selected? Are the students paying for these 'prep' English classes, or is the governement providing a free ride? I am mainly asking because I wonder how behavior will be for teachers involved in this program?

Again let me reiterate that I am referring to the prep program and not the actual English classes which receive college credit.

Thanks for feedback.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get an update on AUM, please?

It must be a really great place to work for everyone to be so mum on it!

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: