Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does everyone say Kuwait sucks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shibainu69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Why does everyone say Kuwait sucks? Reply with quote

Dear Friend

Can anyone answer that, when I look at most boards and expat forums everyone says Kuwait sucks.
When I look at the Oman one everyone is saying how great Oman is.

Why is Kuwait that bad? or is it?

Thanking you kind sirs in advance
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all a matter of opinion. I lived in Oman, the UAE and Kuwait. Kuwait was the only one that I disliked. Much depends on your employer and assigned housing, of course. I had nice living conditions, but an unpleasant workplace.

What didn't I like? After Oman and the UAE, I found it dirty and ramshackle. It reminded more of third world Cairo (which I loved by the way) than the rest of the Gulf. The government bureaucracy that one had to deal with to do anything was the absolute worst... it was mainly Kuwaitis and even their fellow Kuwaitis complain about being treated badly trying to get anything done. It took me one day to get a driving license in Oman, two days in the UAE, and about 5 months (and more than a dozen trips to various locations) to get it in Kuwait.

But... it was the only place in the world that I ever bought a new car with my ATM card. Cool

VS
Kitkat Biriyani

Location: New Venkatanarasimharajuvaripea, Missouri, USA, Q!Q!QQQ!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Kuwait sucks...? Reply with quote

Personally I did not think it was quite that good
If only it had been, might have enjoyed it more.
Doubt it though

Escape from Al Mangaf
Starring
Kurt Russell
and....
.....all the crazies imaginable

Wink

As with anywhere, perhaps more so in the Middle East, a combination of a pleasant work environment and decent provided accommodation and life will be off to a good start - without one or the other, there will be problems, without either then it is seriously time to get out......escape with Kurt and do not stay with the you know whos....

Confused Confused Confused
shibainu69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a dirty and boring version of the UAE to me from what people are saying. Sorry to any Kuwaitis reading this,but I read that even the Kuwaitis think Kuwait is rubbash. Is the money any better than the UAE?
VS as a woman, is Kuwait dangerous to walk around? how can it be such as mess if it is sp rich? dont they have an army of indians to keep it clean like the UAE?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shibainu69 wrote:
VS as a woman, is Kuwait dangerous to walk around? how can it be such as mess if it is sp rich? dont they have an army of indians to keep it clean like the UAE?

None of the Gulf is dangerous for a woman who uses common sense. I did find that the Kuwaiti males were a bit more aggressive in trying to pick up women on the street... even those of us who were old enough to be their grandmother... Laughing

I think most Kuwaitis love their country, but many are just as bothered by the rude bureaucratic governmental organizations and the tendency to never quite clean up any mess as most of us expats are. It is not so much wealth as priorities. For instance, the new building is done... tenants are in... construction crew is long gone... but no one seems to bother removing those last piles of sand and debris or tools or finish the sidewalk.

The university level pay is generally lower than the UAE.

VS
shibainu69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Kuwait is like an arab version of Spain then?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I've never been to Spain

(but I kinda like the music)

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Have you been to Spain? Reply with quote

I spent 9 months in Kuwait.....it was a filler during my war evacuation from Libya. I've also lived in Qatar and Saudi.

Kuwait is dirty and ramshackle as someone above has already said. Kuwaitis are arrogant and largely useless.

There is nothing to do there except go to a mall or eat.

I found Kuwait and Saudi to be similar.

Doha was so much better.

Spain is a million leagues higher than anywhere in the Islamic world because Spain has civil society, not to mention great places to visit like Barcelona, fun people, music, superb food and clean beaches. I could go on but someone might track me down and throw acid in my face.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Kuwait for a year - I actually liked the students who worked well for me.

However, the place is small and going to the malls becomes very boring after a short while.

The main problem I had was the incompetence of the expat Arab managers who spent their time trying to undermine teachers (especially Westerners). It just wasn't worth the hassle.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Kuwait does not suck Reply with quote

I live in Kuwait, and have for the past 10 years. Not an exciting place, but very comfortable, and for the most part, people are friendly. Shopping and eating are NOT the only thing to do in Kuwait. There are plenty of fitness centers, art museums, movie theaters, and cultural centers. There are music concerts, and comedy shows, and even live theater at Kuwait Little Theater. There are parks where you can picnic, barbecue, and play sports. There are a few small amusement parks, a water park, an ice skating rink, and even a zoo. Kuwait even has a little league baseball park, for tee-ball players up to adult softball.
The beaches of Kuwait do leave a lot to be desired, but if you drive down past Wafra, towards the Saudi border, they are nice and clean, and depending upon the time of day/week, they're empty. You can rollerblade, bicycle, or jog along the waterfront in Salmiya.

"Dirty and Ramshackle" While there are several areas of Kuwait that are dirty, there are many nice, affordable places. To compare all of Kuwait to "Third World" Cairo, is, foolish. (Perhaps VS is remembering her time in Kuwait, before oil was discovered) My family and I live in a very nice clean, safe apartment, with an excellent view of the city, and we pay less than 300 kd a month. I'm 10 minutes from work, and my kids attend school with me.
Yes, Mahboula, and Mangaf are dumpy areas, but again, there are plenty of nice places to live. If you want to find out more about Kuwait, subscribe to EEK Expat on-line Magazine. Here's a link to their facebook page. (It's free by the way https://www.facebook.com/pages/EEK-e-magazine-Expats-Express-Kuwait/144588258902864

Finally, a bit about salaries. depending on what/where you teach, salaries in Kuwait can be some of the best in the region, and p/t work is easy to find. Sure, there are crappy places to work, underhanded employers, but there are also a lot of good schools. I've worked at 5 different schools in Kuwait, and I only had a real problem with one. Took the problem to the MOE, and they backed me 100%. (as they usually do)
You can listen to the few on this thread that were there a short time, or in one case, there before the discovery of oil. Up to you. If you're looking for excitement, and raw beauty, Kuwait is probably not the place for you. But it is safe, comfortable, friendly, and above all, an easy place to save $$$
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Have you been to Spain? Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

Spain is a million leagues higher than anywhere in the Islamic world.

Yes, and so is Tahiti, Maui, Sicily, The Canary Islands, Grand Canyon, The Galapagos Islands, etc, etc...... What is your point?

The OP asked about LIVING IN KUWAIT!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kuwait does not suck Reply with quote

middeastgirl wrote:
(Perhaps VS is remembering her time in Kuwait, before oil was discovered)

LOL... I was there 98/99. Long after the discovery of oil... even long after Saddam's invasion. Plenty of people share my opinion of the place. But I also have had friends who lived there years and liked it. I didn't.

Quote:
The OP asked about LIVING IN KUWAIT!!!

And it was the OP who brought up Spain, so it was a completely valid response.

VS
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kuwait does not suck Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
.. I was there 98/99.
VS

1898/99? No, oil was not in the equation back then. Wink

veiledsentiments wrote:
.. But I also have had friends who lived there years and liked it
VS

Yet you rarely, if ever mention that when someone asks about Kuwait, VS. I honestly cannot remember ever reading anything positive from you about Kuwait.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pretty spry for my age. Cool I have said it before, you probably just missed it. But personally, I can't think of much positive about my time there... and I can't be dishonest about that and the reasons why.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

300 KD a month...must be a cruddy apartment.

Doha's so much better.

10 years there? What a waste of life.

And thanks VS, my response was completely valid.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: