Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Bilingual School
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bengt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
ABS are advertising a whole load of jobs on the Times Ed site- so a lot of teachers leaving.

didn't you know, starfell?

"It is ABS policy to list most positions in the school, whether or not they are available. This allows us to keep resumes of qualified applicants on file should an unexpected vacancy arise." http://abs.edu.kw/positions.html

which is important when you can set your watch to that incessant pitter-patter sound echoing from the school. Wink
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL- anyone who is advertising this late in the year for so many positions is in trouble......think I'll apply under an assumed name to see what happens....will keep you posted.

Just checked that website- advertising for at least 40 positions.......wtf?
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
If you go to ATIS/GES you will NOT I repeat NOT be legal as they have had their file closed at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour for at least a year.Do not believe them when they say ''come on a visit visa and after a month we will get a work visa''= lies.

Thanks, Starfell,

I was told by ATIS that I would be receiving a piece of paper called a NOC in the mail, with instructions to get my medical and other clearance here at home so that I won't have to come in on a visit visa. Is this true?
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''Once the employee has arrived on an NOC, the process of stamping the residence or the 'Iqama' starts. This can, in some instance, take weeks. The formalities have to be completed within 60 days of entry, otherwise a daily penalty fee of KD 2 will be levied. It is important to note that after a person has entered the country on an NOC, he or she cannot leave the country until the residence permit has been issued. Also he or she will not be able to drive a vehicle in Kuwait until a valid Kuwaiti Driving Licence is issued, unless, of course a temporary licence is obtained in the interim. One can only apply for a Driving Licence once the Residence Visa has been obtained and the Civil ID has been issued.''

They are lying to you.They lied to everyone else and why would you be different?

The NOC will NOT enable you to work and can be obtained by ANYONE in Kuwait, so the ctual company IPE doesn't have to get your NOC.For example :
My aunt could go in and ask for your NOC to work in her hotel and then gve it to IPE who send it to you......
When you arrive in the country your papers STILL have to be approved by the Ministry as a teacher for IPE- whose file is closed and who aren't receiving visas..... believe me, go work for them, earn 943/1100 a month, but you will be illegal and if caught risk deportation.
Check out www.internationalschoolsreview.com but you have to pay to read the reviews.

Also check out this for real instructions re NOC : http://www.kuwait-embassy.or.jp/english/k-j/visiting.html

Oh and believe nothing told to you by Ms Sabuba......
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Starfell,
That's good to know. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I haven't spoken to anyone named Sabuba, but I did speak to the elem. principal and new vice principal and they assured me that the visa process wouldn't take more than a few weeks, and that past problems with the MOE have been solved. Could that be true?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
...they assured me that the visa process wouldn't take more than a few weeks, and that past problems with the MOE have been solved. Could that be true?

I am not personally familiar with this employer, but I am familiar with this type of comment from employers. And it is rarely true...

The biggest problem for new teachers to the Middle East is that the shady employers tell you what they think you want to hear... not necessarily what is true. All you can do is read any comments that you can find on the internet... and decide who you want to believe.

Best source is probably a teacher who just left this year as to the visa question.

VS
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled: I've just left and let me tell you, the problems with BOTH the MOE and MSAL have not been ''solved''.
urdoox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps mideastbound can update us jobseekers on the situation with ATIS and the MOE?
Calla_Lily

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: ATIS Reply with quote

Starfell, would you PM me please. I haven't posted enough to PM you.
misdsmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: ABS is CRAP Reply with quote

I worked at ABS for the 2010-2011 school year and I would tell everyone NOT to work there. They pretty much start with a new set of teachers every year on the MS/HS side because its ran like a mad house. While I respect and like Jackie (the head) this place is a hell hole to work in. For starters don't expect copies of your contract unless you went thru an agency (UK only) and they pretty much screw you're pay (they dock you 3 days pay for being absent for any reason). Next are the students, the spoiled "rich kids" of Kuwait as their called. They are rude, disrespectful and do not care to learn. Students are promoted to the next grade depending on how much money they're parents offered at the school carnival, seniors who should not have made it past the 9th grade have HS diploma's and if they care to go to college they're apps are done for them. Last years administrators sided with parents (a practice I still don't get) and I say last years because they all left. The VP from last year is this years principal and they hired all new vice principals (poor guys have no idea). They have parents with lots of 'wasta' who control which teachers stay and go and Areej (the owner of the school) sticks by her family even if the children are bad (they are her nieces, nephews, cousins, etc). Overall avoid the place, there are other schools that are far better pay, housing, and contract wise. Try ACA, AAG, Al-Tkamul or BBS for starters
BillyHoyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: ABS Kuwait Reply with quote

Anything recent on this school? Any changes? What's it like there?
Calla_Lily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ABS Kuwait Reply with quote

BillyHoyle wrote:
Anything recent on this school? Any changes? What's it like there?

I taught there. Last year they brought in new principals and cleared out most of the expat teachers but kept all the unqualified administrators. Good luck if you go there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: