Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Nawa Management & HRD Consultants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Al Nawa Management & HRD Consultants Reply with quote

This agent is hiring now for the "technical colleges." Have they been given a part of CECN's gig? Were the colleges divided up, or is there overlap?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice if they had mentioned which colleges to indicate the answer to that one.

VS
sliderama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Al Nawa Reply with quote

I received a response after sending in a resume. They mention

<quote>

We have been awarded a tender to provide 8 English Language lecturers (native speakers) to the different technical colleges in the Sultanate located in the following areas: Nizwa, Ibri, Ibra, and Salalah.

The remuneration package for this position is as follows:

Basic Salary - R.O. 800 US$ 2078
House Rent Allowance � 350 910
Transportation Allowance � 100 259
Utility Allowance � 75 195
Gross Monthly Salary - R.O. 1,325 US$ 3442 (Tax free)

Other benefits:

Annual Tickets (for self, spouse and 3 children 18 years of age and under)
Free medical insurance/ care
Workmen compensation insurance as per Oman Labor Law
Gratuity (15 days salary for every completed year of service)
Contract period � one year renewable

<end quote>

Can anyone comment on the recruiter and/or the package? (My qualifications are M.Ed (Ed. Tech), 10 years ESL/EFL, TESOL cert.)

thanx,

Smile Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions:

Was your experience teaching academic English/university level?

Must the job be in Oman?

These recruiter hires in Oman can have many issues, which you will find well discussed on various threads here. They are really considered entry level jobs and most people will not have MAs or anywhere near your experience.

Your general description of your credentials would suggest that you may have better opportunities in other countries like Saudi, Emirates, or Qatar. While most places prefer a more related MA, depending on how you can sell that MEd - your ed tech experience certainly has possibilities for getting a better offer than this.
sliderama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your queries VS, I'd appreciate your take on my current situation:

I have about 4 years tertiary academic English experience at two different universities (one year Vietnam, the rest currently in Korea). The other six years teaching has been mostly at language schools.

No Oman is not necessarily my first choice but I have applied to many jobs in the M.E. but I've yet to get a concrete offer (except I've had a couple of offers in Saudi but that country is no longer desirable after discussing it with my wife). Besides that I'm sure I need to 'tighten' up the resume a bit, I think it may be due to the non-related Master's, having no M.E. experience, as well as the fact that I have jumped around a lot over the last 10 years (6 countries teaching exp. incl. Canada). Often one of the questions asked during interviews is "Why have you moved around so much?" . But I am now (recently) married with a young daughter (7 mos.) and am looking at Oman as a way into the M.E. with the idea of getting the educational benefits offered at many positions once my daughter is of school age.

I realize it is indeed entry-level, but as I said, so far I've been unable to land a M.E. job. I could wait until next year and pound the job fair pavement at the TESOL Arabia conference, but Oman looks very interesting, and in general is a better deal than many uni gigs here in Korea. (Like many others, I swore I'd never use recruiters but it's all a means to end, ain't it?)

Believe me, I have pored through these boards quite thoroughly, but not much mention of this particular recruiter...

Your input (and/or others') appreciated...

cheers

Smile Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sliderama wrote:
I realize it is indeed entry-level, but as I said, so far I've been unable to land a M.E. job. I could wait until next year and pound the job fair pavement at the TESOL Arabia conference, but Oman looks very interesting, and in general is a better deal than many uni gigs here in Korea. (Like many others, I swore I'd never use recruiters but it's all a means to end, ain't it?)

What a pleasure to find someone who has actually checked things out. Laughing Your plan sounds good. With a completed contract with Arabic speakers, a trip to TESOLArabia and the opportunity for face-to-face interviews should up your chances nicely.

More new recruiters it looks like... that just adds to the 'adventure.' Rolling Eyes

VS
windstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of Higher Education have decided to have more rectruiting agencies such as this one in question. Mideast also recruits and there are others of course CECN and bahwan. As for bahwan, caution recommended everybody says.
Duffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Bahwan and Hawthorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

If CfBT are still in, go for them, despite change in local head office staff, and Oman management, they are still a better choice than the others.

CECN?? dunno Confused Confused

Duffy Cool Cool Cool
sliderama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for all the info and feedback! i checked CECN website, looks like they are not dealing with Oman at present. CfBT sounds like a good choice from all of your recommendations (thanx Duffy!!) so I'll just wait for the responses which from what I've read can take awhile.

Also, thanx VS for your positive input!!

cheers

Very Happy Very Happy
sylva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: CfBT Reply with quote

Have been working for CfBT...previously worked for CECN. I can tell you with all confidence that the office of CfBT, staff, director and all are THE BEST I have ever worked for.

I had health issues, they were great. My family came to visit, they worked on their visa no problem. We have water shortage issues, CfBT was so kind that they provided us with bottled water, then of course dealt with the issue.

I would say go for CfBT. The only thing is that right now, we (the CfBT teaches) don't know if they will have a contract with the Ministry of Higher Education, which makes it difficult for us, and this would be the only reason why teachers would change from CfBT to other opportunities.

cheers,
Sylva
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question Sylva... it says Korea on your profile under your screen name. Did/do you work for them in Oman?

VS
sylva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: not in Korea any longer... Reply with quote

NO...you are right.

I tried to change my profile to say Oman instead of S.Korea but wasn't able to (anyone knows how pls. help).

Presently in Oman, and I worked in Oman for two recruiters CECN and CfBT.

To answer your question. NO, I did not work for CfBT while in Korea, I worked for myself -found the jobs myself. Am glad to get out of there, although money making opportunities are plentiful!

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your location Reply with quote

sylva wrote:
I tried to change my profile to say Oman instead of S.Korea but wasn't able to (anyone knows how pls. help).

1. Login to your profile
2. Click on the option �Profile�
3. Go to the option �Profile Information� , then in the field titled �Location� type in your new location
4. Go to the end of the page and click �submit�
Duffy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylva,

Tanx for backing up my advice re CfBT, I may not be employed by them, but I have seen 'em in action and as you say, they are really good. Thanks to an "admin" lady who I am sure you know, as do I.

Duffy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
sliderama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the info sylva, i'm hoping the CfBT gig comes through, though it's a bit disconcerting to hear they may not have their MOHE contract renewed. But at the same time they have people like me waiting to hear back...YIKES, good thing I am checking out other possiblilites and I think I will do even more job searching. I really wanna get out of korea, probably similar reasons to yours.

cheers! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: