Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is an EU passport needed for summer work in the UK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Is an EU passport needed for summer work in the UK? Reply with quote

I recently noticed some summer ESL jobs in the UK that did not mention a need for an EU passport: maybe they just forgot to say that? At any rate, I am an American currently teaching in China and would like to know if there is some sort of exemption for very short term temporary jobs. I am over the age for any student -work status, so this would not apply to me. Any help would be appreciated.
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm fairly sure that you'd need an EU passport, or at least a work permit.

Cheers

Sifu
Will.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I second that opinion.
Legally there is 0 chance of you getting a job with any repputable school if you do not have permission to work in your passport stamp.
there are places that organise summer cam0ps amnd have a bit of teaching too but...I would not want that on my CV, Would you/
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be in luck this summer, there's about 100 jobs going on tefl.com, even with the drop in students.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyak wrote:
You might be in luck this summer, there's about 100 jobs going on tefl.com, even with the drop in students.

On the other hand, you might like to show solidarity with the rest of us who are getting old enough, experienced enough and p'd off enough not to accept the poor pay and conditions.
dyak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Sue, though i can't decide if there are more jobs or a shortage of teachers. I've recently worked with teachers doing 60 hour weeks! 12 hours of teaching a day... jesus. I had hoped a shortage of teachers would change things for the better but i don't think it's going to. The sad fact is though, that in London there is always someone who'll do it for less.
eltbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need residency status to be able to work legally in the UK and that means having a EU passport or a work permit. If you lack the former, getting the latter will involve demonstrating that you have some rare skills. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of people with TESOL qualifications in the UK and it is quite impossible for non-EU passport holders to be granted a permit to teach there.
camerontribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My info from the work permit section of the Home Office is:

The employer fills out a WP1 (find this at workingingtheuk.gov.uk , click �all forms� on the right of screen and scroll to �business and commercial�) sends it to the home office, they process (about 8 days), if they decide yes they send it back to the employer, the emplyer sends it to you and you present it with your passport upon entry.

Normally �entry clearance� is required from the UK conslate in your country. However the advisors at the Home Office said that members of commonwealth countries (the US is still considered one for this purpose) seeking employment for a period of less than six months will normally have this requirement waived. Get the number for the advisors from the website above - they were very helpful. Do all the legwork on the form for the employer and then haggle over the 153 pound processing fee. It�s as easy as that. Of course, the employer will have to want you enough for some reason to be bothered.

One thing though, you absolutely must have the permit before entering the country.

Best of luck.
lastmanineurope

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would need an EU passport or a work visa. There are a lot of teachers available to teach locally in the UK and it can take time to get a work visa (and cost to the employer) so it is not worth the effort for the employer to go out of their way to apply for one. By the time they have got the work visa for you they could have recruited many people locally.

You could try telling them you have a work visa and they might not check up, but they might ask to pay your wages into a bank account, so it could be worth setting a bank account up at least if you want to take a chance.
afowles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans need work permits and the schools seem rather less than willing to help us get one. I've applied to five UK schools and have been turned down by each one due simply to the fact that I'm American (or so I'd like to think, my CV is decently impressive).
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider that if you are actually there when they get desperate you are more likely to succeed, and they will also feel more justified telling the Home Office that they can't get local teachers: for which you can thank people like myself (see my comments last summer).Smile Seeing a body in their presence, or a few miles down the road is likely to give you more credibility than somebody a 1000 miles away for whom they could do all the work in applying for a work visa, and then never see.
John Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Americans and work Reply with quote

IMHO you haven't a prayer of getting an EFL job in the UK as an American. Nor should you want to as it is basically slave labour in a lot of schools. The better ones wouldn't need staff. Immigration rules are complex and expensive. Your best bet if you can teach in state schools is to look at the TES and apply for jobs in comprehensive schools. The pay is much better but a lot of them are battle zones.
SF21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*search & bump*

Have any Americans had any luck so far finding summer work? There are tons of postings on tefl.com, but I'm wondering if I should even bother applying.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pole with a CELTA has a much better chance in getting a TEFL job in the UK than an English native speaking American unfortunately. This also applies to teaching in State schools, where all EU teaching qaulifications are accepted, whereas an American would need a PGCE of which can only be taken in the UK.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a new law in Britain. All TEFL schools, including the Summer camps, must be registered with a government contolled association, I can't remember it's name for the moment, and due to this most of them register membership with The British Council. They put some tough restrictions on these schools. This includes all employees must be CRB checked, all employees must have a recognised degree, plus a Trinity or CELTA certificate. All employees, including Brits, must have their passports checked and copied. No illegal immigrants or workers. Because if they have a visit at any time and they haven't followed the rules, they will lose their license.

Laws are now tough for language schools in the UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: