Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cities to live in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Cities to live in Reply with quote

I've heard Bucharest can be bad with crime and street kids, where are some good towns to live in?

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Bucharest Reply with quote

In English it is "Bucharest". In Romanian it is "Bucuresti" with a cedilla under the "s".

The capital has all the problems of the big city and as far as I can see few of the advantages. Try Craiova, Cluj, Iasi, Constanta.

You could probably get a job at one of the universities but be prepared for a miniscule salary. You might need a microscope to help you count it.
EmmaMairie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timisoara, Brasov, Onesti, Bacau, Braila, and the Translyvania region are supposed to be good as well.
kerohaha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Sibiu Reply with quote

what about SIBIU? anybody know about this small town?
liehtzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: towns to work in Reply with quote

I travelled through Romania for two weeks two years ago. It is a poor, beautiful, fascinating country, though I'm not sure about the teaching opportunities (but if anyone hears of a place that's looking for teachers I'm game!). Bucharest is run-down. Some folks love it but I got out ASAP to explore some of the smaller cities. Brasov is far superior, in my opinion. Though it has all of the typical Soviet-era apartment blocks on the outskirts (which is where I stayed while I was there) the old town is lovely and serene. Sigishoara, Vlad the Impaler's birthplace, is one of the most beautiful old towns in Europe. Sibiu is also very picturesque but always seemed eerily deserted. Cluj is a far cry from the atmosphere of any of the towns in Transylvania - it's a bustling town right on the border and the only city I was in while in Romania that really seemed to have some forward motion. It was in many ways reminiscent of a city in one of the country's more affluent neighbors (the pop is largely Hungarian), bank machines a-plenty, cellphones and style - I wouldn't be surprised if there are opportunities here, but I'd take the quiet sparseness of Brasov, Sibiu or Sigishoara over Cluj any day. Travelling in Romania can be tough going and frequently surreal - the infrastructure is terribly dilapidated - and I imagine that living there can be difficult and unpleasant. But it is one of the most remarkable travel experiences of my life and I wish anyone who decides to go there the very best.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is an Int'l House in Timisoara. At least there was a couple of years ago. Quite a beautiful city too. Very sad thast there were young kids sniffing glue and prostituting themselves in front of the main train station when I was there in 95. I hope things have improved.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are jobs. I posted a list of ten places, see the thread titled "two more places for jobs" and "finding work"
Ajax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Where is Cluj? Reply with quote

Liehtzu said:
Quote:
Cluj is a far cry from the atmosphere of any of the towns in Transylvania - it's a bustling town right on the border and the only city I was in while in Romania that really seemed to have some forward motion.

Wrong, Cluj is in the heart of Transylvania. Believe me, I've been there so many times!

As for the rest of your post, nicely said. I think you realy understood what Romanian culture is about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: