Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Grammar question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bamby,

You wrote:

"You have to use the apostrophe when you use an independent clause with an dependent clause. What you did has nothing to do with a modifier."

Where is that elusive "dependent clause" that you mention?

Regards,
John
Bamby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Bamby,

You wrote:

"You have to use the apostrophe when you use an independent clause with an dependent clause. What you did has nothing to do with a modifier."

Where is that elusive "dependent clause" that you mention?

Regards,
John

I already said that the 'apostrophe' was an error; I meant a comma. I will try this again. Sentence "B" has an independent sentence or clause. Example: Our lives are together closer and closer. In America we do not speak that way because "our lives are together" is a complete sentence. Closer and closer becomes the dependent clause and yes it is a phrase. In that case you need to put a comma to make the sentence complete and to make it make sense. Let's see... 'Our lives are, together, closer and closer'. In that example Our lives are closer and closer is complete and makes sense without together; so, how one would read it would be Our lives are closer and closer, together or Our lives are, together, closer and closer. Can you see how it makes much more sense when you add the commas to make the whole sentence complete and rational. If you don't use commas and just write "Our lives are together closer and closer", you will need to omit together or just rewrite it so it can make sense such as 'Our lives are closer'; or Our lives are closer and closer; or Our lives are close; or Our lives are closer, together; or Together, our lives are close; or Our lives are, together, closer and closer. Etc...
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: You're getting closer Reply with quote

Dear Bamby,

"Closer and closer becomes the dependent clause and yes it is a phrase."

Sorry to be so persistent, but (and you knew there was a "but" coming, didn't you?) a clause is NOT a phrase. A independent clause is a sentence. A dependent clause MUST have a subject and a verb but no complete thought.
A phrase (such as "closer and closer") has NO subject, NO verb, and NO complete thought.

Phrases and clauses are separate entities.

And "Our lives are closer and closer together" makes sense to me. You wouldn't want a comma after "closer and closer" because those words modify "together."

Regards,,
John
Bamby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: You're getting closer Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Bamby,

"Closer and closer becomes the dependent clause and yes it is a phrase."

Sorry to be so persistent, but (and you knew there was a "but" coming, didn't you?) a clause is NOT a phrase. A independent clause is a sentence. A dependent clause MUST have a subject and a verb but no complete thought.
A phrase (such as "closer and closer") has NO subject, NO verb, and NO complete thought.

Phrases and clauses are separate entities.

And "Our lives are closer and closer together" makes sense to me. You wouldn't want a comma after "closer and closer" because those words modify "together."

Regards,,
John

A dependent clause do not need a subject and a verb; in that case it will make its own complete sentence. It is a dependent clause because "Our lives are together" is a complete sentence making it independent. It does not need "Closer and closer". However, Closer and closer needs 'Our lives are together' making it dependent. "Our lives are together" can stand on its own; you do not need closer and closer. Closer and closer can not stand on its own- it will need a complete sentence such as "Our lives are together". There is a such thing as dependent phrase. Subjects and verbs makes complete sentence and can stand on its own. For example... Come here. That has a verb and subject thus it is complete.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bamby

OK, I'll give it one more (and last) try:

"A dependent clause do not need a subject and a verb (WRONG); in that case it will make its own complete sentence.(NO - "When I got home" is a dependent clause; it is NOT a sentence) It is a dependent clause because "Our lives are together" is a complete sentence making it independent. It does not need "Closer and closer". However, Closer and closer needs 'Our lives are together' making it dependent. "Our lives are together" can stand on its own; you do not need closer and closer. Closer and closer can not stand on its own- it will need a complete sentence such as "Our lives are together". There is a such thing as dependent phrase.(YES, there is, BUT a dependent PHRASE is NOT the same as a dependent CLAUSE) Subjects and verbs makes complete sentence and can stand on its own. For example... Come here. That has a verb and subject thus it is complete."

Bamby, I suspect that English is not your native tongue. Please read the information below:

Clauses and Phrases

To understand punctuation, it is helpful to understand the difference between a phrase and a clause.

I. A phrase is a collection of words that may have nouns or verbals, but it does not have a subject doing a verb. The following are examples of phrases:

leaving behind the dog
smashing into a fence
before the first test
after the devastation
between ignorance and intelligence
broken into thousands of pieces
because of her glittering smile
In these examples above, you will find nouns (dog, fence, test, devastation, ignorance, intelligence, thousands, pieces). You also have some verbals (leaving, smashing), but in no case is the noun functioning as a subject doing a predicate verb. They are all phrases.

II. A clause is a collection of words that has a subject that is actively doing a verb. The following are examples of clauses:

since she laughs at diffident men
I despise individuals of low character
when the saints go marching in
Obediah Simpson is uglier than a rabid racoon
because she smiled at him.
In the examples above, we find either a noun or a pronoun that is a subject (bold-print and red) attached to a predicate verb (underlined and purple) in each case:

because she smiled at him
III. If the clause could stand by itself, and form a complete sentence with punctuation, we call the clause an independent clause. The following are independent clauses:
We could easily turn independent clauses into complete sentences by adding appropriate punctuation marks. We might say, "I despise individuals of low character." Or we might write, "Obediah Simpson is uglier than a rabid racoon!" We call them independent because these types of clauses can stand independently by themselves, without any extra words attached, and be complete sentences.

IV. Dependent clauses have a subject doing a verb, but they have a subordinate conjunction placed in front of the clause. That subordinate conjunction means that the clause can't stand independently by itself and become a complete sentence. Instead, the dependent clause is dependent upon another clause--it can't make a complete sentence by itself, even though it has a subject doing a verb. Here are some examples of dependent clauses:

because she smiled at him

These clauses simply do not form complete thoughts or sentences by themselves. Those subordinate conjunctions--since, when, and because--cause the listener to expect some extra material. The thought is incomplete. If you walked up to a friend in the dorms and said, "since she laughs at diffident men," and then walked away without adding an independent clause, the friend would be completely baffled.

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/gram_clauses_n_phrases.html

Regards,
John
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
Quote:
If you walked up to a friend in the dorms and said, "since she laughs at diffident men,"

I'm not sure if Bamby will appreciate your effort, but good job.

This subject is one of my pet oral teaching peeves. Here in China I teach writing as well as oral (and other subjects) Writing is never given in the first year, sometimes the 2nd and 3rd. So many of the oral english teachers are of the "oh grammar doesn't really matter, I'm just here to ....) And so by the time I get them for writing class, the students with such teachers ahve the habit firmly entrenched of treating a dependent clause as equal to a sentence.
Thus, even in their written work, "since she laughs at diffident men' will be treated as a complete sentence Sad

ORAL ENGLISH DOES MATTER! Teach it using proper grammar, please?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me a context arioch in which a dependent clause on its own would be permissible in spoken English but not in written English?

Are you sure you're not simply referring to the fact they put a full stop after one, which is a question of punctuation.
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones

Quote:
Can you tell me a context arioch in which a dependent clause on its own would be permissible in spoken English but not in written English?

Not sure of your meaning, and if this is a truly meant question.

I am pleading for Oral English teachers to stamp this out. I am certainly not saying it is permissible ("grammar-wise") for oral english. I am saying it is wrong for both, but that (in CHina at least) Chinese and Foreign teachers often feel that worrying about such minute grammar details is unimportant (so they claim). So such mistakes are not corrected. Wink I think it is important, because I find these mistakes showing up in the writing all the time. And we tend to repeat our oral mistakes when we write (like those who tend to write "I could of" and other such mistakes)

PS, I am referring to basic grammar, not in depth that is for you grammarians to talk about in your off time. I make mistakes all the time, doesn't make them correct.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
I may not understand your question correctly, but it seems to me that in "oral English" (i.e. dialogue), all of us often speak in phrases and dependent clauses, especially in response to questions:

"Where's the teacher?"

"In the classroom."

or

"Why did you do that?"

"Because I wanted to."

I think a problem can sometimes arise when students read dialogue, see phrases and dependent clauses being treated as sentences (i.e. beginning with capital letters and having end marks) and can get confused as to what constitutes a sentence in written English (first letter capital, subject, verb, complete thought, end mark.)
In fact, Bamby's confusion may be an illustration of this very problem.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct John. But writing the examples you chose does not make them any less grammatical. or less optimal.

But I want to know is what arioch's students are writing. Is he setting them compositions and they're just replying in single dependent clauses? I'd have thought there'd have been more problem with that than with the 'lack of grammar'.

If students are not punctuating correctly, then that is a problem with teaching punctuation. It has nothing to do with 'grammar'. And it has nothing to do with oral English.

Quote:
like those who tend to write "I could of" and other such mistakes)
That's much more a problem of native speakers having problems with spelling. A second language learner who had managed to master modals with the perfect infinitive would be rare indeed; and I suspect capable of spelling correctly.

Quote:
I am referring to basic grammar, not in depth that is for you grammarians to talk about in your off time. I make mistakes all the time, doesn't make them correct.
The problem is that when people talk of basic grammar they normally mean some imaginary shibboleth they were taught in Grade School by somebody who didn't know very much and which they have only half understood anyway. I suspect arioch that at some time in your childhood or adolescence you were taught 'you must write in full sentences; that's proper grammar' and have never been curious enough to have challenged it. A sentence is not a 'grammatical' concept; it is a purely artificial convention for certain types of communication. Your students need to know the concept and the punctuation conventions that go with them, but that is the job of the teacher who is teaching the types of communication that require sentences, which is you.

One problem of course is that when native speakers such as arioch and myself are taught the rule about sentences it is presented in simplified form because we are still in Elementary School. And 'grammar' becomes associated with what is not grammar - that is punctuation, correct social registers, whatever.

As native speakers we were never taught grammar explicitly; we imbibed it, assimilated it or made it. Second language learners can't do that. But the 'grammar' they need is the one we have implicitly but don't know explicitly. And often when asked "Why is something that way?" we have to answer "Because".

Let's take a simple example?
Who's that?
It's me.

Can't get much more basic can we? But the problem is why, in English and French, do we have a third person subject with a first person complement? Why do we say "It's me" and not "I'm I" as the Spanish do. I can answer but it took a fair bit of thought, I'm not sure I'm right, and it requires fairly abstract notions involving theme and focus (or reme) and dummy subjects.

And this question came from a student who'd studied English for two weeks. So the answer he'll get of nearly all teachers, including me when he asked it, is going to be "Because".

The problem with grammar is it's the basics that are the least known and most difficult.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones

Quote:
I suspect arioch that at some time in your childhood or adolescence you were taught 'you must write in full sentences; that's proper grammar' and have never been curious enough to have challenged it

Actually, a little of the opposite. After teaching in China for more then a few years, I become more and more convinced that a key for their successful english development is their use of longer sentences, fuller sentences. So I have seen positive results in emphasizing this in oral english, where short replies (and questions) are all too common. For instance, the use of "it" in a reply is not usually allowed. But this has nothing to do with grammar. Not true. The fuller and longer the sentence, the more "grammar: is practiced.

Wrote something much longer, then said screw it.

Yes, when a student writes an essay, and a sentence is
"Because we have the Olympics this summer."
I consider it wrong (as does every testing agency I know)

In oral english dialogues are often used (duh)! and we know that in oral english we often do not use "proper"/correct english (most tests I know still do not consider "gotta" correct.
A-What do you want to do this summer?
b- Go to Beijing
Terrible work for getting better english is the main reason this answer would be discouraged. But yes, the simpleton I am, I would consider this bad english (including all tests I know)
A- Why do you want to go to Beijing (good oral english practice, follow up question)
B- Because of the Olympics
Common response in Oral English, and yes, I do not consider this a full sentence (we often don't use them orally), I do not consider this as helpful for my students to get better english (college level), and yes, I consider this wrong, grammar wise. Also won't help you on tests. And IELTS examiners won't be impressed
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that while Stephen is likely theoretically correct, arioch36 is
(I can't resist) practically correct.
Most of us directly or indirectly "teach to the test", and, as arioch36 points out, all the tests of written English I've ever encountered would "deduct points" for "incorrect sentences" such as, "Because he didn't see me."
So while that example may not be "any less grammatical or less optimal,"
any student who wrote it as a sentence on any writing test I know about would "suffer the consequences."
Regards,
John
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

I do talk about different styles of writing, and when writing "Stop!" is effective and proper. Don't think it is the point here.

PPS If you want to get twisted, you could argue on one hand

"Our nation is becoming greater and greater. Because we have the Olympics this summer. "

Is correct grammatically, just that the period should be a comma, and the B should not be capitalized. And on another hand, for some poorer Chinese students, not a totally abstract question

But on the gripping hand... still wrong on the test!
Bamby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnslat, you are beginning to confuse me. Please don't lecture me on clause, phrase, dependent clause, etc... Back to what you wrote, I already explained why closer and closer was dependent and needed a independent sentence to make it complete. This will never end if I get into depth about complete sentences consisting of subject, verbs, and even objects. I already know what a phrase is; I already know what a clause is. Please don't lecture me on such. I am talking about sentence A and Sentence B that you wrote. What I explained stands. You need to rewrite it, add commas, or omit the word 'together'.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bamby,
OK - I give up. This is going nowhere. I have neither the time nor the inclination to teach you, especially since you seem so determined not to learn.
If you want to continue this, PM me, but I'm finished here.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: