Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Agrequipa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cindygettis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Agrequipa Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've been tremendouly helped by your advice and comments on this forum. My husband and I are moving to Peru in February of next year to teach for 6 months to a year. I'm a credentialed elementary teacher with a TEFL certificate. I've lots of experience with kids and a few months with international adults here in the States. I want to teach adults. We are looking to move to Agrequipa and had an offer to teach at a language school there full time (6 hr. a day) for 1200 soles. This sounded low to me, and I wondered if someone could tell me their thoughts about it. They told us we could rent a flat in a nice neighborhood for 300 soles. My husband is a lawyer looking for an ESL position; he isn't certified. Does anyone know of a teaching position that would be ideal for a lawyer?
Thanks so much for your help and advice!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're an El ed teacher, try prescott.edu.pe It's the international school in Arequipa. Lima, Cajamarca and Trujillo have more international schools. Obviously, Lima has the most.

1200 soles is nothing. that's about 400 usd. Top international schools in Lima pay 3K USD.

They're right about costs of living, but I'm assuming that you would want to fly home every once in a while, and that will take a large chunk out of your salary.

My advice for you would be to get a job in a school. Prescott, or another bilnigual school, YOu should get from 1K to 2K usd, and have them pay the taxes or it's 30% of your salary.

Also, ask about visas. Language schools usually don't get them.

Your husband could teach to lawyers there in Arequipa. Or Business English. Have him charge 10 to 20 USD an hour. If he gets a group together, he could charge 10 usd and make 50 usd an hour with 5 people.

If you have any questions, let me know and see my PM for more info about Peru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: