Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying taxes from abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quoc_viet03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Paying taxes from abroad Reply with quote

I heard that if you are a U.S. Citizen, you must pay taxes even if you're working abroad. Does anyone know about this? How much in annual taxes would one have to pay, assuming no property ownership and very little other connections?
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe, but am not certain as I'm not American, that you can make up to $75,000 US abroad before having to pay taxes. At least that is what it used to be. Most of us would certainly fall under that category. Rolling Eyes
quoc_viet03

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'm not sure about that... I've heard from a few US citizens working abroad that they are still required to pay certain taxes. If so, I'd like to know how much, as I don't think I'll be making much abroad to start with!
Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about paying taxes.

But I know that USians have to FILE every year. I know taxation laws can be obtuse, but have you tried the IRS website (or whatever it would be - the Federal Taxation Department website).

That's how I got taxation information for my country.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans are required to file for taxes on any income they receive, whether in the USA or from abroad. So, any money you make in a foreign land is taxable.

HOWEVER, you will be exempt from paying tax on foreign-earned income up to a certain amount. This figure changes slightly every year, and at the moment it is up to about US$80,000. You have to file, but you probably won't have to pay any tax on your teaching income because very few teachers make the equivalent of $80,000 abroad.

Here is the IRS web site for details.
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/cover.html

Americans have to file by April 15, but if you live abroad, you have until June 15. Talk to your embassy for the annual exchange rate to put on your forms, or keep a detailed record of what the rate was when you were paid. You can get the forms from your embassy, or you can download them from the web site above.
quoc_viet03

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: