Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flirting with students
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunpower, all you have to do is molest girls when they are real young, and they will grow up yo enjoy the behaviour you are mentioning.

WTF?
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: flirting with students Reply with quote

I am in whole-hearted agreement with Sunpower on this one. That statement was unacceptable. The author's point is completely lost due to his insinuation. Sunpower was never argueing for the male right to dominate and subjugate or to abuse young girls in any way. He was a making a stand against enforcing one's moral or ethical values on other people.

He was asked in which cultures it was legally or socially acceptable for a person in a power situation to date or flirt with a person of inferior status and he replied with his knowledge of Japan. He did not make any sort of justification of said society.

It's amazing how insulting and unprofessional people can be without the vulgar and profane language that which has been lambasted previously in this thread.
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP said, "Even in corporate Japan, to use an example, many older, senior male managers will flirt with, touch and express their attraction to much, much younger, junior female employees."
I'll repeat what I said...Japanese girls, by and large, DO NOT like the groping and sexual harrasment they recieve on the job or on the street. I am in no way suggesting that any one person molests young girls, though it is quite common. I am saying from a psychological perspective, the few girls that do enjoy their superiors making physical demands on them, which unfortunately is common in many countries, tend to havebeen abused as a young girl.
And I said, among the Japanese students I knew at my American college HATED IT!!! I find it incomprehensible that any of us would say it is acceptable behavoiur, just because a person has enough power that the young girl feels she has to put with it. As I said, it has gotten so bad that the Japanese were forced to implement a policy of women only cars on some subways. SO I GUESS IT IS NOT SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE! It is just that many men love to excuse it by saying no matter, everyone does it. What a rationale!
Of course that doen't answer whether the Japanese high schools colleges or government consider it acceptable for a teacher to date is student, or aw sould seem to be suggested by SP that itis okay for a teacher to grope his student, seeing he implies it is okay for a boss to do it, and we are talking about teachers.
So, is it acceptable at a Japanese schools or college for a man to touch his students, as SP says is aceptable in the corporate world? And is it acceptable for a teacher to date a student in his class?
I am not so naive to believe it doesn't happen. Of course it happens, so does cheating stealing rape, murder. For a long time in America women were forced to live this way to "get ahead" until lawsuits help change things some. But the wome who were harrassed did not enjoy it.
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't consider a student to be inferior, maybe that was just a typo.
To clarify, I am not saying anything about anyone personnally. For all you know, I might be an axe murderer. So I do apologize if what I wrote could have been construed as suggesting SP or anyone harrasses or molests. I do not think that at all.
I was trying to say consist studies show that the women/girls who "enjoy" the type of physical attention and innuendo discussed tend largely to have been subjected to such things as a child. No other implication about anyone. Most girls, in AMerica or Japan hate the Creepy" way men will look at them, or when the men try to touch and brush up against, etc. which still strays from the point.

Again, my wholefelt apologies to SP for writing that in such a poor way where it would even be possible to construe it as an accusation.
Please forghive me SP
Chris
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a fairly open minded view about students and teachers dating, until I spent a good amount of time in China. I've seen far too many scumbags here. Unfortunately in the West we have this view of Asian women being 'easy' and will open their *ahem* hearts to any Western man who comes along (ironically Asians hold the same stereotype of Western women). Before I left for China I heard plenty of comments along those lines. 'Good luck in China, I heard the women there are like nothing else!'
Last October myself and many other foreigners were invited to a banquet put on by the government to celebrate National Day. I'd say a good 2/3rds of the foreigners there were teachers. I've never seen so many women manhandled in public in all my life, it was sickening to watch. One particular balding old man like to put his arms around random females, resting his hand just above their bum. Even the server girls! Things they would never consider doing in the US or elsewhere seemed alright to do here.
I worked with an Englishman who constantly made comments about his female students, as well as some other foreigners that I know in the city. Asia attracts these kinds of people because of the reputation Asian women have. Western male gets a job at a uni = booty heaven!
So while student/teacher dating is a grey area, and I have considered it myself (not my middle schools students but a particular training center student). I'd say it's in the schools best interest to discourage it, depending on the type of school. Too many sharks out there.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: