Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiners rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My supplementary question is 'Why?'
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insubordination wrote:
My supplementary question is 'Why?'

Why what?!

Coming back to my (or I should say "our", meaning HK examiners in general) complaints about the strict new procedural regime for the speaking test, according to feedback we've received from other parts of the world, it seems the new procedures are being enforced rather more enthusiastically here than in some places.

Try as I might, I find it virtually impossible to consistently keep my Part 2 to two minutes, often getting my wrist slapped for going more than 5 seconds over time.
starlight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: IELTS examiners rates Reply with quote

Perilla, I can really understand your frustration!!

Been there myself. Spent just under 2 years as an IELTS examiner in Beijing. Got so fed up with all the nitpicking about 'seconds' and all the office politics at British Council that I finally just said to hell with it.

But having spent 2 years in that 'nitpicky' environment put me in a very, very good position to teach IELTS preparation classes. Went on to teach IELTS prep classes for several years, made a bundle, and had far less stress to deal with.

You have my sympathy. Smile
Insubordination

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 3:

I just listen to what they're saying and ask 'Why do you think _______?' and "You mentioned ____________. Why do you think________?" It works, it's easy, impersonal and no imagination is required. My 'monitor' gets annoyed if I think of random, barely related questions.

Almost everyone is pulled up and 'fails' once a year or so for not following procedures to the letter or rating incorrectly. We are humans and it's not an exact science. No one talks about it because they think they are the only one. The people monitoring us are also monitored strictly.

I am also sick of the job (though mainly because it's on a Saturday). Are we supposed to just be flattered that we're important enough to be examiners for Cambridge, so we'll jump through all the hoops? It's all taken so bloody seriously and paid so bloody poorly (as you mentioned, especially the speaking).

However, I agree that it does prepare you well for teaching IELTS prep, which is much more enjoyable.
Perilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught IELTS prep for a couple of years but found it just as dull as the examining with low-level (band 4 to 5) adult students. But yes, teaching IELTS does offer some lucrative opps, especially if you can find high-level privates.

Many examiners in HK are well hacked off with regular examining, and I know a few who have either stopped or are are threatening to do so. I only do one session a month these days, just to keep my hand in - just in case the day job falls through.
johnnyRockets

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Ielts examining in Italy Reply with quote

Hello,
Can anyone out there tell me how much ielts examiners are paid per candidate in Italy, please. I am planning to travel to Italy this summer and would like to examine while being there.

thank you.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the job you're a fool.

I got out when things turned south/sour in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: