Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Development Events in Australia and NZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Professional Development Events in Australia and NZ Reply with quote

This is a handy summary of the various events hosted by English Australia around the country. And for NZ, you can go to the main TESOLANZ page and look on the front page and then in the 'branches' section for either national or regional events.

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, NZ
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

TESOL events in Australia are the equivalent to 'Buffets'. Stereotypical White Anglo Saxon teachers, ill informed and culturally insensitive types attend them and try different cuisines. If they have a predilection for the type of food at the 'TESOL Buffet' they state in subterfuge: 'Curry? sure I will teach curry munchers, their food is awesome.'

Australian WASPs are an odd bunch, they try different foods or travel to non-English speaking nations and think the world owes them an 'inter-cultural gold medal' because they have experienced internationalism. 'Look at me, I'm special because I have been to a non-English speaking nation. I possess all the charisma of an individual with deep soul'.....
Does someone have a vomit bag please?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Professional Development Events in Australia and NZ Reply with quote

mmcmorrow wrote:
This is a handy summary of the various events hosted by English Australia around the country. And for NZ, you can go to the main TESOLANZ page and look on the front page and then in the 'branches' section for either national or regional events.

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, NZ

Thank you for the links, Martin! Very useful.

tmac-100

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Elegantstatue wrote:
TESOL events in Australia are the equivalent to 'Buffets'. Stereotypical White Anglo Saxon teachers, ill informed and culturally insensitive types attend them and try different cuisines. If they have a predilection for the type of food at the 'TESOL Buffet' they state in subterfuge: 'Curry? sure I will teach curry munchers, their food is awesome.'

Australian WASPs are an odd bunch, they try different foods or travel to non-English speaking nations and think the world owes them an 'inter-cultural gold medal' because they have experienced internationalism. 'Look at me, I'm special because I have been to a non-English speaking nation. I possess all the charisma of an individual with deep soul'.....
Does someone have a vomit bag please?

Obviously you have had some BAAAAD experiences with Australians. Too bad. We all have negative experiences in life.

That said, it is very disingenuous to paint Australia and it's citizens with a conmon brush. Grow up - if you can.
I totally disagree with your caricature..
By the way, are YOU a troll, or a STIRRER ? Curious minds await your response ( a considered, not emotional, one of course) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: