Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My work experience in Sudan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jai123

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: My work experience in Sudan Reply with quote

I worked in Asakinah Training Centre (Arkaweyt, Khartoum). They give you three days training, with no compensation for travel expenses. Your asked to turn up at 9.00am and end up waiting for an hour for the admin. coordinator to give you a couple of repetitive videos on teaching, to watch. Anyway, I signed a contract stating that i would be paid 50sdp an hour. Just before my third lesson, I was informed that the manager (who lives abroad) had insisted that i get paid 35sdp. I was really angry and insisted that i got paid the money that had been agreed to in my contract. i was informed that I would be paid this for my previous lessons, but would only get paid35sdp for my third lesson that was due to start. Needless to say i gave them a piece of my mind and quit.
Now I am looking for work. So if anyone out there knows of any mahds that are recruiting , please let me know.
Vecchia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry you had a bad experience mate. It is however no suprise whatsoever that you were taken advantage of.
I've just finished an 8 month contract in Khartoum with Cambridge. They work you to the bone and try to push you around but they do pay very well and always on time. When I left in April they had a new 1 yr contract paying $1500 p/m, driver included, flat included and all bills included. But it is with cambridge...I would say on average only 20% of people actually complete their contracts. The rest go on vacation for a 'wedding' or 'funeral' and never come back.
Their headquarters are down in riyadh I think so just head down their with a shirt and tie on and, if you're white, they'll hire you without question I should think.
If you can teach kids and have a B ed then definately try unity, the american school, kics or kibeidas.
All the best
p.s hows the heat? Wink
jai123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: RE: My work experience in Sudan Reply with quote

Hi Vecchia,
Thanks for the reply. Is Cambridge CITC? I did speak to the manager, but he was reluctant to employ me as I mentioned I was going to London for a month in August which clashes with the school year. Also I'm not sure how long I'll be in Khartoum, so not sure if I can stick to some of the schools contracts here, which are up to 2 years.
I've been asked by a bank here to do a General and Business English course, so if they accept my proposal, I may get a good income. Otherwise, I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I've applied to Kics but they dont have vacancies at the moment. I'll chase them up in a couple of months. Does Unity High School accept teachers with a CELTA and a psychology degree? I think I'll go and visit them as they never replied to my email.
The heat is a killer-makes me sluggish and sleepy. It doesn't help that I'm all the way in Omdurman which is the hottest area in Khartoum.
So where are you off to next? And how was it really working for Cambridge?
Question
Vecchia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was based in omdurman so I know how you feel. As far as I know unity won't take you without a b.ed but always worth a try. Kics is the best school and teachers tend to stick around so places rarely come up. The british council do advertise occasionaly for teachers (check the link for an old job ad from last summer, it might be worth following it up)
http://www.britishcouncil.org/sudan_vacancy_info_teacher_aug_2010.pdf

Cambridge is citc yes. They are pretty awful but I just kept my head down for the 8 months and saved a load of cash. I taught kids which was actually really fun but they can drive you crazy.
I'm off to brazil in 3 weeks Smile Cool which was always my aim that kept me going through the dark moments lol. Actually as soon as i finished the other month i went to addis to blow off some steam, what a city i loved it! So much better than khartoum in every possible way you can think of. Fresh mountain air, cold beer and such beautiful women...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: