Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of Angel of Jordan's Language Schools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Beware of Angel of Jordan's Language Schools Reply with quote

Please be advised that the recruiter for Jordan's Language School in Northern Taiwan can't be trusted.Her name is Angel and she lies to everyone about everything.She will even lie about the salary and conditions of your job and you will find out about that after pay day.She has lied to people that she has there visa and ARC and when they ask for a copy she says that you don't need it.Please don't give her your passport or any other documents because you may never get it back.I would like to know how a reputable company like Jordan's could use a person like this as the head recruiter for northern Taiwan.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Jordans' fallen Angel Reply with quote

I, too, had problems with this rather unscrupulous agent for Jordan in northern Taiwan. She wove a web of deceit that cost my girlfriend and me quite a handsome sum, not to mention alot of grief. The lies, in my case, involved the salary and work location I was "promised." I was promised a job, and was told it was a done deal, only to find out when I arrived that the job had mysteriously and conveniently disappeared. I discovered this when my supposed airport pickup never showed up and I checked my email at CKS airport to find out why. After the considerable stress and expense of finding my way around and securing accomodations in a foreign country, I contacted Angel. Miraculously, the job that was not available was available again, just at considerably lower pay and in an undesirable location, far from what had been agreed to previously. Evil or Very Mad

If I could give those of you thinking of coming to Taiwan any advice, it would be to not only avoid this agent, but all agents. From reading other posts, I can see that they are mostly untrustworthy con artists who will only cause you grief. More importantly, they are like a sixth toe (not needed) in Taiwan. Most major kindergartens and cram schools have web sites where you can apply to them directly, thereby cutting out the middleman. Recruiters, as in my case, will try to woo you with promises of higher salaries than the school will typically pay. Don't believe their lies. It is also exceedingly easy for a qualified teacher to find work in major cities just by visiting a school. Learn from my mistake. If you absolutely need a job before you arrive here, contact the school you are interested in working for directly. Otherwise, just come here and get your own job. Stay away from agents unless you are totally desperate! Very Happy
misterno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Anybody else? Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anybody else have anything to say about Agents and Jordan Schools?

I appreciate both comments on top, but they seem to me to be pretty general. I mean to say that agents are completely useless is pretty strong. I for one am not in Taiwan, and I am looking for a first job, so an agent can be very resourceful. I mean, I guess they can be.

Apart from that, Angel is only one agent. You make it sound as if everybody in Taiwan is untrustworthy. If that's the case, I guess I would skip Taiwan and concentrate on Malaysia and Japan. But I'd like to think, without being too naive, that some agents are ok.

Anybody else wish to comment on experiences with agents?
Anybody else wish to comment on experiences at any Jordan School?

Merci to all.

Sno.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: don't use agents Reply with quote

Taiwan is a wonderful place to live and work, don't let my previous post discourage you. However, you simply do not need a recruiter to get you a job here. You can always contact the school you are interested in working for directly via the web if you absolutely must have a job prearranged before departure. Heck, contact Jordan school directly. They're actually a pretty reputable school (despite having Angel recruiting for them). It's not agent or nothing over here when it comes to finding work; it's really easy to find a job in the big cities if you simply come here. Agents are totally unnecessary. I lost alot of money putting my faith in a recruiter, not to mention the stress I experienced (I'm actually not sure how someone can call my very specific negative experience with a recruiter "general"). If you don't want to learn from my mistakes, then go ahead and trust a recruiter. It's rather like Russian roulette. I lost thousands of dollars, but don't let that stop you.
squid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: angel can go to *beep* Reply with quote

Post deleted by author.

Last edited by squid on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
misterno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Angel not a real one, so it seems Reply with quote

I amplanning on going to Taiwan with my wife in June of this year, most likely in the Kao-Hsiung region, since I have heard good things about the Jordan school in the county.

I honestly feel sorry for you guys dealing with this Angel lady. I reckon she's to be avoided - this message I got. Does she work in the Kao-Hsiung region? (Maybe she does not exist - hehehe...)

And apart from that, is working at a Jordan school alright?

Hope everything got better for you guys after getting rid of her...

Best of luck.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Jordan is a chain of schools. I think quality is going to vary from school to school. I chose not to work for them after the Angel thing, thought they were somewhat apologetic. Too much had happened by then. I haven't heard too many negatives about actually working for a Jordan outlet. If you do want to work for them (or any other major company), they are available on the web. Apply directly and cut out the middleman. You don't need a recruiter and would be well advised to avoid recruiters in general. Hope you like Kaohsiung. I went there over the Chinese New Year break. Lots to do (and alot warmer than the somewhat blustery north in the winter). They're buiding an MRT subway in the town too. That should make getting around the city a breeze.
eslintaiwan2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: agents, Jordans, and other chains Reply with quote

misterno,

Dealing with agents in Taiwan is risky business. While there may be some good agents in Taiwan, which I have not met, the majority of people will tell you that dealing with an agent is bad news and to be very careful.

Remeber that an agents jobs is to get you here and get their commission, not to look out for your best interest. Think of who is paying them? If the school is paying them, why should they care about you? If you are paying them, why should you be paying them some of your hard earned money when you can easily get jobs without going through an agent that are better than working at a chain school.

As for Jordan's, they operate like most chain schools in Taiwan. Each one is independently run buy the director/owner. So the experience of each person at each branch is going to be different. I can tell you that I worked at one in the Taipei area and it was not very good. The placed smelled like urine from the bathrooms that were never cleaned, the director did not know a thing about teaching, teaching material, and treated the teachers and staff very poor.

Another thing to consider is that to get a working visa, if you are going to work legally, you need to sign a one year contract. Do you really want to sign a contract and work for someone for year before you have even met them, looked at the facilities, or talked with other teachers at the school? Ask to speak to teachers who currently work at the school (the branch that you will be working at) and former teachers. This will give you a little bit of an idea as to how things run. Most chains are the same and they will bring you over on a visitor visa and process you when you get to Taiwan. My advice is the same as many other people, come to Taiwan, buy yourself a copy of the local English newspaper, (the china post in Taipei) and get to work. If you are personable, clean cut, have a degree, or some other minimal qualifications you should have a job within a week or two. That way you meet the people you are going to work for, view the facilities and teaching materials, and see if that area is really the place you want to live. It will make a big difference.

Also living in Kaohsiung has its downside that you should be aware. The air and water pollution there is much worse than Taipei. The MRT subway system is still being built so getting around is going to be difficult until it is completed. The upside is that it is much cheaper than Taipei, especially with regard to rent.

Good luck out there and be careful. Very Happy
donnakaufman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Angel of Jordan's language school Reply with quote

I came to Taiwan in November and met Angel and her husband Jerry at the airport.At first they were very nice and I couldn't help but trust them.From the airport they took me to a highschool in Chungli which looked great at first.She told me that I would have 5 working hours a day from Monday to Friday.After I signed the contract I found out that I have to be in the school from 8 AM to 6 PM and very often come in on Saturdays unpaid.She also promised me that I would get paid on the 5th of the month and that's what it says in the contract.However she pays me on the 15nth and tells me that she made a mistake in the contract.I have been trying to contact her for several weeks about getting my passport back and my visa which whe emailed me she has in her office.She always tells me that she will give it to me the next day and this has been going on for several weeks.So my only advice would be that if anyone comes to Taiwan avoid Angel.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: retrieving passports Reply with quote

If anybody holds your passport and does not return it on request please call the police or ask your country's representative office for assistance. It is illegal to hold someone's passport. Don't tolerate it!
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna

If this woman won't give your passport back, then tell her you're going to report her for stealing it. I bet you get it back in an hour. Alternatively, contact your country's representative as Taiwan Boy suggested and cause her a lot of trouble. Either way, the only approach to take is extreme nastiness!!

Stephen
donnakaufman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,
Thanks for your advice as far as getting my passport back.I just had to tell her very nicely that I would call my country's diplomatic office in Taipei and 2 days later my passport came in the mail.I couldn't believe how fast I got it back.
Timothy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a job offer from Angel at a school in Taoyuan County.She says that it's a senior high school owned by the Ford Motor Company.I think it's called Lio Ho High School.Does anyone have any information on this school?Please let me know.The school seems desperate for a new teacher because she says one of the teachers has to leave Taiwan for family reasons.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not very smart if you deal with this Angel individual at all. Do you think I'm lying about what happened to me? Do you think you will fare any better?
Timothy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will avoid her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: