Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer jobs available for Americans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athrockmor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Summer jobs available for Americans? Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm having trouble figuring out if it is possible to work in the UK this summer if I only have a US passport. I'm an M.A. TESOL student and I'm looking to see a new place this summer, I'm not entirely picky about work but would like something in ESL or summer camp. Any help is much appreciated! Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest that you read through the thread below 'is an EU passport needed for summer work in the UK.' I'll bump it up.
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try here, 185 advertisers making the UK the highest number of employer seeking employees. And most of them seeking a volume of teachers. Without doubt is by far the biggest employer in TEFL.

However I do believe a Pole with a celta or equivelent (as they call it) has a much better chance than an American, due to the fact that they are member of the EU.

The EU has destroyed the chance of employment for other native speakers outside the UK, throughout Europe. Crazy I know.
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck, let's know how you get on with your enquiries of these employers. Are you looking for a high income
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're prepared to work illegally it's doable. UK schools get desperate this time of year. They need to fill up those sweat-shop...er, summer camp vacancies pronto. The pay is crap and you'll have even less rights than someone with a passport from an EU country but it is doable.
BELS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there's better way for North Americans and Australians. New laws! Higher skilled workers welcome.

Please click : http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/hsmp/

The intent of the laws are meant to be tougher for immigration, however the reality is that this method means that if they accept your skills and qualifications in the UK, you will be able enter UK without having prior employment, and without having to have a work permit for one particular employer. Good news for some, also American and Australian qualifications are already recognised in the UK, so you don't have to go through this government agent where you get your qualifications verified.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is a program for students who want to work for short periods -
www.bunac.org
BELS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks interesting, but also if you wish to study in the UK, you do have the the right to work anyway. Hours are limited to the number of hours the college or university allows you. Probably more jours in the Summer. Just look at the number of foreign students doing temp work in warehouses such as Amazon for example.
BELS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS wrote:
It looks interesting, but also if you wish to study in the UK, you do have the the right to work anyway. Hours are limited to the number of hours the college or university allows you. Probably more hours in the Summer. Just look at the number of foreign students doing temp work in warehouses such as Amazon for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: