Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

simple question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: simple question... Reply with quote

is it possible to turn up in rio and find work and get a work visa???

does anyone have detailed knowledge about the work visa situation for brazil? i'm canadian.

thanks in advance Smile
teaguetod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: simple answer Reply with quote

simple answer: no.

but you can easily get work without one. -- IF you are an experienced, competent native speaker who knows english and who knows what you are about. nobody cares if you are legal or not. (of course that would be better -- but unless you get lucky, dream on.) they'll hire you anyway.

detailed situation: no, i don't know. only if you are already here and you get very lucky. a friend of mine got one working for the british school, for example....
tvik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long can you stay in brazil with a tourist visa?
nikon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: tourist visa in brazil Reply with quote

one can stay 3 months and renew for 3 more months, the last i heard.
and the guy has a point, if you are competent and present yourself well you can find work without a work permit, and possibly find a way to get some way to stay, short of getting married, which I did and consequently have a work permit. (but i don't recommend it! kkkkk)
it is good to familiarize yourself with a grammar book and at least one of the series like Side by Side, or something more advanced. so that you have some reference to books, and knowing how to teach, and to know where to find answers to grammar and rules questions the students might ask.
I don't know what your qualifications or experience is but good to bs as much as possible about what you can do, if your applying to a course or school. after you have some some connection to a school, you can run a newpaper ad for private students and for the going rate. that is how it goes in theory at least. I will arrive in Bahia in about 2 weeks and check things out.
good luck
brucecrawford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tourist visa in brazil Reply with quote

[quote="nikon"]short of getting married, which I did and consequently have a work permit. (but i don't recommend it! kkkkk)

Well, why not?? I am married to a Brazilian citizen and have no complaints about that! Laughing

Bruce
Manaus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tourist visa in brazil Reply with quote

[quote="brucecrawford"]
nikon wrote:
short of getting married, which I did and consequently have a work permit. (but i don't recommend it! kkkkk)

Well, why not?? I am married to a Brazilian citizen and have no complaints about that! Laughing

Bruce

Hahaha...I think he means in order to work legally. I'm married to a Brazilian and have no complaints either...although he's snoring a bit loud now Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: