Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaiserslautern
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancynan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Kaiserslautern Reply with quote

I have done a search but nothing came back for Kaiserslautern. Does anyone know if there is a market there for TEFL, particularly Business English? There are tons of American military there but I don't know if there is much in the way of German business (I realize Frankfurt is the financial mecca).

Thanks for any info.
puhutes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you can find a job teaching English in Germany pretty much anywhere... there are always people and companies eager to pay a native speaking person to teach English Smile
PS... just search for Kaiserslautern on www.gelbeseiten.de or search google for English language schools. Most cities have atleast one.
fancynan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check out that website.
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiserslautern is one of the biggest dungholes in Germany; don't go there.
puhutes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about a fantastically positive, and useful reply... hopefully you ignore it and don't get discouraged by it. Good luck!
explorer06

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Germany Reply with quote

Hey there...

I 'll be moving to Germany, as well, to Kaiser, unfortunately, cuz my husband just got orders to move there for three years.... Sad I was hoping we'd go to Japan, but didnt get it...I 've been worried about teaching there as well, and I am sure many other spouses like myself, who dont have TEFL or any other significant certificates.... But thank you for pointing out the website....any other useful information would be greatly appreciated guys!!!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a working knowledge of German would be more use than a TEFL Certificate !
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: the Arbeitsamt awaits Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think a working knowledge of German would be more use than a TEFL Certificate !

Oh yes, going in there speaking second-rate (working) German whilst not knowing a relative clause from Santa Claus will be a one-way ticket to success.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweety-pie, that is NOT what I mean by a working knowledge of German !
I mean the sort of standard required circa 1955 to passs what was then called "Matric", before all this nonsense called A levels and O levels came in.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:49 am; edited 6 times in total
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing.

Actually, no I wasn't. If you've ever had the misfortune to witness numpties at work in a German classroom, you'd take a bit of TEFL training over decent German any day.
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am telling you that KL is a rathole...no one believes me.
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Ktown Reply with quote

I would not call Ktown a rathole or dunghole...there are alot worse places to live and work. Alot has changed in the town over the last 10+ years, mostly for the better.

If you are looking for a good night life, it's not there. Go to Berlin and have a good time. If you are looking for all of the tourist shite on postcards, it's not there. If you think a trip to Germany requires at least two visits to a KZ, they are not there. If you wanna see a lot of nature, taste wonderful white wines, eat more fresh vegetables than almost any other part of Germany, have a bit of diversity in the traditional German cuisine, it is there! Rheinland Pfalz eats salads all the time, I wonder if the Berliners know what a salad is...(sarcastically speaking)

Now if only there football team could get their act together and get back into the Bundesliga....

I will be there right after Xmas for a few weeks...I will let you know if it is a dung heap at that time!

tdk

and no, I was not stationed there as a Soldat, only as a student and carpenter
fraup

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going as a military spouse you can probably get work subbing in one of the DODDS schools on the base. When I was in Okinawa in 2000 I was shocked to learn that the base high school, where I taught college courses in the evening, hired subs with only 2 years of college--paid fairly well too. (Of course it's in dollars so you have to look at the $/Euro rate now.) Also, there seems to be a big need for Business English, esp. for someone who actually knows a bit about business.
explorer06

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey people,

Just wanted to say that we have arrived here in what they call the K-town..! It's a rathole!! God I miss where I was before, ! Everything was soooooo much easier..... We have fields all around us, and you have to drive here like a maniac otherwise they look at you funny ! I dont even drive that well, so life sucks right now..... Sad(( No subways, not so frequent buses... It's not a convenient to place to live..... Wish we never came here....
Great Teacher Umikun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a place. I was in Kaiserslautern in 1999 and 2000, and it didn't seem so bad back then. And your description of fields all around hardly sounds like anything I'd call a "rathole".

You wanna talk about inconvenient though? Try coming up here to Center Ossippee, New Hampshire and then try complaining about how Kaiserslautern is inconvenient. ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: