Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa and job questions for Lima-Please help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnitaSudAmerica

Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio (por ahora/for right now...until Dec.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Visa and job questions for Lima-Please help! Reply with quote

Hello all,

To introduce myself, my name is Anna. I have been trying to find information about living and working in LIMA, Peru. I have searched the internet up and down, seen the Ultimate Peru List, the LA Job List and I have joined various forums that deal with finding employment in Peru. I will be buying a plane ticket and moving there in December (2008) and I will be staying for at least three years. I have been looking online for jobs on www.expatperu.com, www.livinginperu.com, among others, and have received various postings from NatureGirl (THANKS SO MUCH!!!). I was hoping to find a position as a full-time English teacher either in an institute, school or university (from what I gather the institutes and universities are the best). I would even consider working for an international company that needs bilingual/international individuals. I have my BA, and TEFL Certificate and I have been teaching English to adults and children (of all ages) for the past year. I am also fully bilingual (Spanish and English).

I didn't really know how to officially begin this job hunt, so, I signed up on this forum. Before heading out in December I would like to secure a job and receive a visa allowing me to stay legally for at least a year, however, from the info that I have read, this seems to be very difficult (plus, the internet is not the best way to find jobs in Peru). I was wondering if simply applying for a tourist visa would be the best bet? It would give me a chance to personally make an appearance at different teaching locations. From what I have read I can renue my tourist visa as many as 3 times? I was also thinking there might be a higher probability I would get hired more quickly because of the length of time I am able and willing to stay (?). Hopefully I could receive a visa from my employer, however, that all depends on the employer! In all, I prefer to be legal while living in Peru.

I know there are certain programs such as TEFLJobPlacement.com that could help me, however, they also charge a fee. Would this be a good idea? What's more, they seem to only offer job placement in Cuzco...where I will probably not be living.

I have never traveled to Peru before, but I do have contacts currently living there who would like to help me, however, they are not familiar with the English teaching world and I am not sure how much they would be able to help me with in the end.

So, if ANYONE has any kind of advice, it would be so greatly appreciated! I'm sure many of you have gone through the whole process and possibly had the same questions. In advance, thanks so much for taking the time to read this,I appreciate it! I know it's a long post...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For visas, try UDEP in Piura, FLEMING in Trujillo, and most schools in Lima.

The Peru Job Bulletin has the latest jobs. For Lima, you could try schools.

Working under the table is done by many people, perhaps not the best way to go, but doable.

Check your PM.

TeFL Job Placement, um, not the best, just because of the fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: