Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

euro summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketchild

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: euro summer Reply with quote

watch tv instead?

Last edited by rocketchild on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself the punishment and crap pay and get some agency work. There is no need to put yourself through the slavery of a summer camp if you already have experience. Failing that, sign on.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what LongWay said. Why wear yourself out when you can make the same money doing a job that leaves your evening free? If you want teaching experience you can always do regular language school work.
rocketchild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: regular Reply with quote

is it THAT bad?

Last edited by rocketchild on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like I've just sorted myself a job for the summer, driving around this mountain valley of mine in a transit - 9 - 5, bit of fun, lunch thrown in, maybe the odd raft trip and for the sort of monthly wage you see advertised for English teachers here in Italy and similar to summer school pay... and pay in Italy is notoriously bad.
wulfrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really though, what are the alternatives to teaching over the summer? i can pick up 12 pounds an hour for 30 hours a week. alternatively, can only see office temping jobs for 7 or 8 quid an hour. 30 hours of teaching is preferable to 40 hours of mental numbness - plus temping isn't reliable. after spending a few years working after graduation, and getting teaching experience, they seem to be scared off, and prefer fresh meat.
wulfrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on second thoughts, im remembering the experience of walking into a different class of students four times a day... mindless temping seems attractively sedate by comparison.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any non-residential language schools in your home town you could send your CV to? That way you can keep your overheads down, teach adults who want to be there and still have evenings to yourself.
wulfrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolwhites wrote:
Are there any non-residential language schools in your home town you could send your CV to? That way you can keep your overheads down, teach adults who want to be there and still have evenings to yourself.

my hometown is ... wolverhampton, hence the username. unfortunately not many italian kids want to spend their summer there (neither do i...).

looking for work in manchester, so can stay with friends. but the fact i never took the time to even get CELTA or trinity holds me back. looks like i may be relying on my former place, who were kind enough to employ me last year.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfrun wrote:
my hometown is ... wolverhampton, hence the username. unfortunately not many italian kids want to spend their summer there (neither do i...).

Ah. You could always take them to Molineux though.
Will.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bestest most best experience was last year

and

I DID NOT TEACH SUMMER SCHOOL
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, don't be a tease: explain.Smile

Wulfrun, at least with office work you can switch off if you are tired, daydream a bit when it gets too mind-numbing and don't have to go back home to spend the evening preparing for the following day.
FatFreddieFoxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here - the best summer is the one when you don't have to teach! However, if you have been conned into working this summer, you should find some useful advice on coping with your summer school experience here:

http://tefltradesman.blogspot.com/2008/06/summer-school-saturnalia-revisited.html

It might not give you much help for your lesson planning or whatever, but it should give you a laugh or two!

FFF
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
Well, looks like I've just sorted myself a job for the summer, driving around this mountain valley of mine in a transit - 9 - 5, bit of fun, lunch thrown in, maybe the odd raft trip and for the sort of monthly wage you see advertised for English teachers here in Italy and similar to summer school pay... and pay in Italy is notoriously bad.

Well, apart from the fact that my reversing with a trailer full of rafts is entertainment in itself [just like facing a class when you feel you don't know what you are doing ,sweaty, red-faced, wish there weren't people staring at you] my swanning around the mountains is going well: verdant river banks, the sound of rushing water, toned bodies in wet suits to ogle at and so far no drunken or psychotic colleagues.

Go on, you know there's an alternative to summer school just for you....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: