Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Edinburgh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttemple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Jobs in Edinburgh? Reply with quote

Currently, I am teaching in South Korea and will be taking a CELTA course in London in the fall. Originally, I was looking at London for the obvious reasons (more jobs, nice city, etc). But in my research I found that you can get paid the same in Edinburgh, but the cost of living is a fraction of the price!

Also in my research, I've only found 8 language schools/FE colleges for potential employment vs. the 127 in London.

There must be more TEFL jobs available in Edinburgh! Can anyone give me any tips about finding work in Edinburgh? I have checked thegumtree.com already. Apart from waiting until I move there and talking to a recruitment company, I dunno how else I can get a job there. I guess I'll have to stick with the original plan and stay in London.

Thanks!
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here: http://www.tefl.com/jobs/search.html
ttemple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That link is really helpful.
workingnomad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a student want to study English in the Scottish capital? ;o)
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY not! There was a recent survey which stated that the 2nd most desired accent in English was Scottish, especially an ducated Edinburgh accent. Top in one survey was the queens accent, another stated it was the BBC journalist's accent.

Also Edinburgh University and Scotland is highly acclaimed for their education standards. Scots can still study for degrees free of charge Smile
fungus the bogeyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workingnomad - What a stupid thing to say!!!!!

People would be very lucky to study there - and also to be able to speak English with a much nicer accent than if taught in some other English speaking countries or indeed towns!!!!
lolwhites

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sassenach who spent four years at Edinburgh Uni, I can say that understanding people poses no problem. The biggest language difficulty is knowing how to pronounce street names like Buccleuch Place or Sciennes.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolwhites wrote:
As a sassenach who spent four years at Edinburgh Uni, I can say that understanding people poses no problem. The biggest language difficulty is knowing how to pronounce street names like Buccleuch Place or Sciennes.

I grew up a stone's throw from the aforementioned places, and I too had to learn how to pronounce them. Infact, I went to Sciennes (Sheens) primary school. I still have to think about the spelling of that one.
As for the other poster's comment on Edinburgh as a bad venue for learning English - Only ignorance would lead a person to believe that the Edinburgh accent is uninteligable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: