Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rio de Janeiro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuestroJuan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Rio de Janeiro Reply with quote

Good afternoon, everybody, I've never posted a topic before, but I've read quite a few in the Latin America forums. My name is John Gahan. I'm a twenty-two year-old university graduate (B.A.), and I'm currently doing a two-month internship in Brasilia, DF, Brazil. I've lived in a couple Latin American countries before, and I think I'm adapting okay to Brazil, except for the language barrier. I tell ya, you can have all the Spanish experience in the world. Portuguese definitely sounds different!

Anyway, my job here in Brasilia will be over on August twentieth. I'd like to stay in Brazil longer after that so that I can enjoy the culture more and really learn the language (My current job only requires that I know English and maybe some Spanish.) I spent a night in Rio de Janeiro before taking the bus here, and I really liked it. Who doesn't? It's big and beautiful. I would like to move down there in August when my job is over. I have a few questions for the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I'd like to learn Portuguese. I mean, really learn it, although I'm learning a little each day. I see there are some week-long (or longer) Portuguese schools in Rio where you can also live with a host family. Is this worth it? It seems like it costs about four hundred US dollars or so to enroll in these programs. If it's worth it, does anybody know the name of a reputable program? If anybody has any other advice on better ways to learn the language, please let me know.

2. While in Rio, I'll, of course, need to figure out the best way to make ends meet. I've been chipping away (slowly) at i-to-i's online TEFL course. Now, I know it's kind of give or take on whether or not these certifications actually help you get a job, but I'm learning some important things nonetheless. I've also taught a couple times, just as a volunteer, in Mexico, so I have some experience. Anyway, from what I've read, it seems like giving private lessons is a good way to go. Would you all agree? It seems like it pays well. Can you also do well teaching in the classroom? Whatever the case, private or classroom teaching, how do I make the connections to get this kind of employment? I'm new to the ESL world, so any advice is good advice.

3. Okay, lastly (This has become quite a long message.), seeing as I, like many ESL teachers, will be on a tight budget, what's a good, economical option for living accommodations?

I'm also not die-hard set on Rio. If the opportunities are greater in other cities, let me know.

Okay, everybody, thanks for reading my message. I'd love any help I can get. Take care.

John
shannoneast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Hi John Reply with quote

John! How are you? I'm currently developing a small business here in Rio for teaching and translating. I'm currently in the search for some extra teachers. If you'd like to send me your resume, it would be nice to start thinking ahead.

Sincerely,

Shannon
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: