Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GeoVisions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aynnej

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: GeoVisions Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with this company? It's a volunteer program. I'm interested in their Conversation Corps, where participants live with a host family and teach the family English 15 hrs/wk. I did a search for "GeoVisions," "Geo Visions," "GeoVision," etc., on this site but wasn't able to find anything.

I'm primarily interested in Brazil but am considering other countries. I'd have to pay 1135 USD to stay 3 months in Brazil, plus the flight. This seemed like a lot at first (and to have to pay to volunteer?). But, that's only $378/month for room and board. So it seems like a good way to see the country.

If anyone has done this, do you know if private tutoring on the side is allowed?

Thanks.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the website and it looks interesting, at least the program in Brasil. Some of their programs in other countries are a little suspect, though; for example, their volunteer English program in Chile is the English Opens Doors program that is offered through the Chilean government, but they expect you to pay $1K+ to do it through them. Kind of sketchy, IMHO. And a country like China, for example, there really is no need to volunteer teach there, since you can get a paid teaching job fairly easily.

But yeah, you're right, paying $1100 for three months in Brasil, with free room and board, sounds pretty good. I wonder if you can choose your location, for example if you want to live in Rio de Janeiro, or if they choose where you go?

Please post here and let us know anything else you find about this company.
aynnej

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Evanzinho. If I go with GeoVisions, or at least learn more about them, I'll certainly share.
aynnej

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've accepted a job in Japan, and won't be pursuing a home stay GeoVisions in the near future. However, I hope to work in Brazil after my time in Japan. If anyone has any experience with GeoVisions, please post! If I'm the guinea pig sometime down the line, I'll do the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: