Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sad times
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: conference in March Reply with quote

There is a conference in Ankara at Bilkent university in March, which I was planning to attend prior to heading to TESOL Arabia. I am having trouble getting a flight direct to Ankara so if I decide to go to Turkey it seems as though I will have to go via Istanbul.

I figured that while I was there I'd like to check out Cappadoccia, hence my questions about the weather.
gelin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istanbul isn't close to Cappadocia, my friend. It's much nearer to Ankara. From Istanbul it's about 13 hours by bus, from Ankara about 4 or 5. The closest airport you'll find is Kayseri, I believe, unless Nevsehir has an airport now.
samet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: distance Reply with quote

Thanks Gelin for the advice but have my Turkey geography in hand. The problem is that from Japan, where I live, I cant easily fly to to Ankara (which, as you point out is much closer to Cappadoccia than Istanbul), and I SO want to see Capadoccia as I missed it on my first trip.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe (but do check) that an airport opened at Nevsehir a couple of years ago. If you don't fancy the bus ride, Japan - Istanbul - Nevsehir is probably the best route. Sometimes you can get a decent price on the internal transfer if you book it with the main flight. If you book them separately it could be quite costly.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are internal flights within Turkey still cheap? I remember flying from an airport near Cappadocia (forgotten the name) to Istanbul for about $60 CDN (9 yrs ago). At the time, I thought it was a little steep as the bus trip was a fraction of the price. Man how we get a warped sense of the value of money when we're backpacking.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I took one (about 4 years ago) it was ridiculously expensive. I flew from Ist to meet a friend near Antalya. I stayed in the same hotel as he had booked into with his package deal from the UK. Taking into account the Ist-Ant-Ist flight, the transport to and from the airport and the cost of the hotel, his deal from the UK was much cheaper.

I don't remember exactly, but I think it worked out about 100USD for the return ticket. Prices may have changed since then as this was just before the crisis.

Someone I knew took a flight from the UK to Ist with the intention of moving on to Bodrum. The airline offered a deal whereby the return connection from Ist to Bodrum was included for only an extra 20 GBP, with the option to stopover in Ist for a few days.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer I flew from Istanbul to Bodrum(return) and it cost 130 dollars (US)
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flight from Kayseri to Istanbul costs $100 US one way if bought separately from a Turkish Airlines INt'l flight, and $50 Us one way if bought as part of a longer flight. A bus costs 30 million. That's $20. I tend to grin and bear it and take the bus.

Actually, I heard rumours the Onur Air, a budget airline, is branching out into kayseri/ Cappadocia starting in Dec and will cost 60 million each way. Check them out if you can.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices have gone up. I also recall that some of the passengers didn't have seats and stood for the flight. There were also some small farm animals in cages in the cabin.
FGT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internal flights in Turkey are much over-priced if booked locally. An alternative (for SOME routes) is the Mavi Tren - Book a "Yatakli" ticket (single room with bed and mod. cons.) from eg Istanbul-Ankara, Ankara-Diyarbakir, Izmir-Ankara etc and you have good accommodation for the journey, with a view and an adjacent dining car, for a fraction of the price. And they give discount to teachers! I can't recommend it enough.
Most trains in Turkey are a joke but this is superb!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: