Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodation issues: utilities, sharing, bargaining, visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicalchef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Accommodation issues: utilities, sharing, bargaining, visa Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for either an apartment or a room right now, and I just had a few questions. I think I've read most of the previous posts on the topic, but may have missed a few so I apologize if these have been discussed already!

1. I know you need some kind of proof of accommodation to get your visa. Obviously, a lease would do the trick. What other kinds of documents would work, if any? I think there was one topic on here (sorry, I don't remember where it is now) where a lady said that a family was providing her accommodation, and had given her a notarized letter to show for documentation. I'm asking because I've heard that, if you rent a single room in a larger apartment, your name is not usually added to the lease.

2. Speaking of sharing an apartment, what is the best way to look for a cheap room in an apartment with other clean, decent people?

3. Can you bargain on the price of: a. the rent; b. the deposit; c. the agency fee; d. the utilities (the price of them, or whether or not they are included)?

4. On the subject of utilities: some ads list a cheap rent but then a ridiculous charge for utilities! Is this for real? For example, I saw one 1+1 flat with a rent for 6000kc but 3500kc per month for utilities! Is this an estimate for how much the utilities cost, but you don't actually pay that amount, or do you actually give them this amount? Can this be negotiated? Especially if you don't use everything? For example, I have a mobile and do not need a regular phone. I would like an internet connection but do not need a TV or cable for said TV.

Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is really to get a contract with a school that is going to support you through all these processes!

Most newbie teachers in Prague who are flat-sharing are doing so with other teachers who work at their school. It's going to be extrememly difficult for you to go through the process of getting a housing contract and applying for a visa without some support from an employer (or a good Czech friend with some knowledge of how the processes work for non-EU citizens).

You might bargain on rent, agent fees, security deposits, etc...if your Czech's up to checking the contract fine print - remember legal contracts have to be in the local language!!! but utilities should be utilities and 3.500 is clearly some kind of scam.

The things you are trying to do are really extremely difficult to impossible to achieve on your own.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

My school helped me a lot with the work permit, and is helping me gather paperwork for visa, but they don't help with housing.

I do have a friend who is helping me look - not Czech but knows some Czech!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't your school at least put you in touch with a reputable agent? I think it's a bit strange that they aren't giving you any support finding housing...remember you'll likely have to sign contracts that are all in Czech - you'll need someone to be sure you won't be getting yourself into some level of scam or problems with a contract...

good luck!
musicalchef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they don't do that. They actually recommended that I search "byt bez realitky" sites since it would be cheaper. My friend understands Czech and will help me with the contracts, and with any necessary bargaining.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just a bit strange, but an OUTRAGE. A school that hires you should without a doubt know you are a foreigner there and need alot of assistance in finding housing. A school not providing this HUMANE, BASIC, AND DESERVED service to a non-Czech arriving from afar is a SHAM. I would never work for any school not either providing housing themselves directly OR decent assistance to the teacher in finding one on his/her own.

If we all demand what is reasonable, we can raise the standards here for everyone. If we settle for BUM DEALS, then all who arrive afterwards will suffer with those low standards.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with your friend who speaks Czech, I fear you're at risk for problems. I think at least you need a reputable agent. Sure, it's cheaper if you find something yourself- but what are you going to do if there are problems? And believe me, there can be.... Surprised
ITTP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Smile

Accommodation can be a real pain - for both tenants and landlords.
The main issue, besides price, is that there are some great landlords and tenants out there - also some terrible landlords and tenants.

If I were a 'newbie' searching for accommodation I'd do one of three things:
1. Place ads on local expat forums and search for other expats in the same situation - this way you could find a place together.
Prague.tv is a good place to start.
2. Check out the offers on this website:
http://czech-properties.cz/?lang=en
3. Check out offers on this website:
http://www.spolubydlici.cz

Hope it helps!

Have a lovely weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21 - bang in the center of Prague!
musicalchef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclectic: It's a reputable school, not a sham. And they are helping a lot with my paperwork. None of the schools I talked to help with housing, it doesn't seem too common to me.

Thanks for the suggestions, ITTP. The main question I had is on documentation, do you know anything about that?

I did look on the first site (saw it on your other post); there are a few good ones there and hopefully on Monday I can go and see some of them. Some of them were also the ones I was talking about that charge 3000+ for utilities, however. I looked on the second site too but didn't find anything yet.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalchef wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, ITTP. The main question I had is on documentation, do you know anything about that?

Hi musicalchef! Smile

Yep, you will need to present your rental contract and your landlord will need to get confirmation for you that he is the legal owner of the apartment.

Have a lovely rest of the weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21 - bang in the center of Prague!
musicalchef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem getting that. I had a hard time getting these documents from my landlord in Sarajevo because he didn't want to pay the extra taxes, but he eventually gave them to me since he knew I needed them for the police station.
cks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to follow Neville's instructions-a notarized letter from the landlady is not going to cut it. Why would a school help anyone with housing in a major European capital city? They can give all the many websites or agencies to assist with places to live, but we are all adults here and it is the same as relocating to any city. Unless someone comes over with an adequate amount of savings, we have to embark on flatshare here. It is the same process as most of our home countries; go online, look for those seeking roommates, and then start the hunt. 3500 for utilities sounds like a scam. Most of the prices already have the utilities included and they will not bargain with you. Again- www.spolubydlici.cz or www.expats.cz.

As Neville stated, you need 2 documents- the original lease contract and another contract stating he/she is the owner of the flat. Then of course you need proof of insurance and the 50 kc criminal record for the Czech Republic. All of your U.S documents must be translated and notarized, but your school has probably told you all of this as well.

I go through this process every year so let me know if you need more help. Smile
musicalchef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm seeing two apartments today, so we'll see how it goes. I haven't shared a flat with a stranger since undergrad, so this should be interesting! I'll probably leave my valuables with a friend for awhile...

I have the criminal record (lack thereof) report from the US (it arrived after nearly five weeks); I'll be giving it to my school this week to copy (notarize) and translate. They didn't say anything about proof of insurance, and in the expats survival guide, it says they don't really ask about it if you are getting the visa for work purposes, since they assume your company will provide insurance for you. Was your experience any different? Maybe they just ask when you renew, to make sure your workplace actually DID give it to you?
cks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, they ABSOLUTELY want proof of insurance. It was the first thing they asked for while they briefly skimmed all my other documents. They want to know that you are covered before your school gives you the insurance. You cannot get your VZP until you get your permit from the school. You must get CZECH temporary health insurance; not from abroad. And the insurance must prove that you are covered until you get legal, so you need to buy 3 months of travellers insurance from Volksbanken for 700 kc per month. I am searching my backback for the business card, but can't find the address. It is right by the Jana Masaryka tram stop.

Other tips-Bawag bank for a savings account

Ceska Sporitelna for regular bank account-it will include accident insurance abroad not including your home country. Do not let them take you to the rip-off branch at Vaclavske Namesti that has accounts for foreigners. Demand the same account as the Czechs.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

I'm sorry; what is a VZP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: