Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is reasonable pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taught at a boy's school, but have taught at an all girl's school, and I would far, far prefer teaching boys. Discipline at Catholic schools tends to be a bit better than your run of the mill High School. But if you already think, going into it, that they are loud, obnoxious, etc. without knowing anything about that particular school, it might turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy.
With a full package of benefits that is a good salary, as the benefits will add up to quite a bit more.
'
jserio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school is Catholic school. There was a post here in 2010 about them but I'm not sure if it's the same school (and it was 2 years ago). I just heard from the director and the job is teaching elementary children. I've told my recruiter I'm only interested in middle and high school positions yet she continues to send me jobs for primary school. Is there a reason primary school jobs are more abundant? High turn-over? I taught grades 1-6 for a semester last year and while the students were good (compared to the teens) I just don't feel comfortable teaching them - especially without a native teacher in the classroom.

Last edited by jserio on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is 18K good in Mexico City?

It's not tops but it is good. You should be able to save some money each month with that, depending on how you live of course.

Quote:
Is there a reason primary school jobs are more abundant?

This particular school prefers to put new teachers into the lower grades and either promote from within to the higher grades or reserve those grade levels for experienced teachers. My guess is they believe there is more at stake at the higher grades when gambling on a new teacher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jserio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

This particular school prefers to put new teachers into the lower grades and either promote from within to the higher grades or reserve those grade levels for experienced teachers. My guess is they believe there is more at stake at the higher grades when gambling on a new teacher.

Guy, as always I enjoy reading your valuable insights into teaching in Mexico. Do you have any feedback or information about this particular school and location? Is it in Mexico City proper or the suburbs? Also, what's your take on teaching at these lower levels for an fairly new ESL teacher? If they prefer to place newer teachers in the lower levels, that tells me that there are less discipline issues (or easier classroom management?).

Jim
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jserio wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Guy, as always I enjoy reading your valuable insights into teaching in Mexico. Do you have any feedback or information about this particular school and location? Is it in Mexico City proper or the suburbs? Also, what's your take on teaching at these lower levels for an fairly new ESL teacher? If they prefer to place newer teachers in the lower levels, that tells me that there are less discipline issues (or easier classroom management?).

Jim

I don't know a great deal about this school, but I've had dealings with their sister school Cedros. Northridge is not very old and located way out in the burbs.

If he's willing to indulge, there's another poster here that can give you the ins on working in this school system and with kids of this age. I would expect they will have you teaching social studies (in English) over ESL, so it will look different from what you expect but I may be wrong there - don't know what they've offered you. Discipline - I would expect some problems at this age level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jserio wrote:
The school is Northridge School. There was a post here in 2010 about them but I'm not sure if it's the same school (and it was 2 years ago). I just heard from the directory and the job is for a 4th and 5th grade teacher. I've told my recruiter I'm only interested in middle and high school positions yet she continues to send me jobs for primary school. Is there a reason primary school jobs are more abundant? High turn-over? I taught grades 1-6 for a semester last year and while the students were good (compared to the teens) I just don't feel comfortable teaching them - especially without a native teacher in the classroom.

It's the same school. But you won't be expected to teach in Spanish, so am wondering why you need a Spanish speaking teacher. Northridge is an Opus Dei school, so discipline is fairly rigorous, and enforced. I know a couple of people who reach there, or taught there. I can try to put you in touch with them, if you can, send me a PM with your email address. They all seemed to like the school.
jserio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle and Guy were correct (as usual). Smile

I interviewed yesterday and the job is to teach 5th grade in four subjects: history, math, science, and English. I was also told I could swap one subject in 5th grade for one subject in grade 7. The school is only 4 years old and this year will be the first year they have middle school classes. I'm not sure I'm sold on teaching at an all-boys school though. I'd prefer a colegio and teaching the teens/older students.

Here's what I expect the offer will be:

18-20K pesos
private health (addition to social security)
I pay HALF the visa cost
no end of contract flight bonus
no housing allotment (although he did say he would speak to his director and see if they could pay half of my housing).
24 lessons per week but I still have to be at school 8 hours per day.

I'm not too convinced on the location either. Mexico city is huge and if I live there I want to be IN the city where I can walk everywhere. I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles and I hated it. Is it too much to hope for placement at an inner-city school?

Jim
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suburbs in Mexico City mostly aren't like suburbs in North American cities. Being in the suburbs doesn�t necessarily mean being stuck in a sterile residential zone with no shops, restaurants or bars. Mexico City is more like a vast conglomerate of villages and neighbourhoods. Unless you end up in a very upper-class neighbourhood, it is quite probable to have a lot of shopping and entertainment options within walking or short commuting distance. And the �inner city� isn�t necessarily the most happening place to be: the various entertainment zones of different types are loosely spread around a rather large (kilometers-wide) region of the city centre, not clustered around downtown.
jserio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I received an offer and I was wondering what everyone thinks. I also had a few questions:

$25,000 pesos per month BEFORE TAXES
Half of my visa paid ($340 or $175?)
$500 reimbursement for travel upon completion
School hours: 7:10 - 3:30
24 40-minutes classes per week

The original description said "18-20K pesos approx" so I am a little confused. Will I be paying 5-7K pesos in taxes each month? A previous offer I had (from a different school) was 8K pesos I have to assume that was after taxes. Does anyone know what the visa cost is? On the phone, the interviewer told me it was $350 and I asked if my share would be $175 and he said yes. But the offer letter seems to indicate my share is $350 making the cost of a visa $700. LAstly, they pay up to $500 for travel expenses at end of contract. A flight to DF seems to be about $300. So a return flight would be the same or cheaper if I buy in advance. Is it common practice to get reimbursement for both flights or is the reimbursement only for your return flight? I'd love to get the max $500 if I can.

I haven't even stated to look at housing. Does anyone know what I can expect to pay for studio or 1 bedroom? Will I be able to find a furnished apartment?

Jim
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should be able to address the visa cost, I don't know what it costs now, but I don't think it is $700, $350 sounds about right. That is a good salary, you are not likely to find anything better without any experience and connections in Mexico. Flights are not at all common, so that is a plus. But don't wait too long, school starts soon. You might ask them if they will help you out with a place to stay, or if they know of a teacher who wants to share an apartment for a month or so.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the immigration website, it is currently $2,356.00 MXN + $750 for entry in the national register (only payable the first time), a total of $3106 MXN (roughly, $240 USD)
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furnished apartments are not nearly as easy to come by. If you can stand it, maybe you could share with someone for a couple of months, till you get an idea of whether you are going to stay just the one year, or perhaps longer. In San Pedro de los Pinos you can rent an UNfurnished apartment for $4000 or so, maybe a little less, but furnished will cost you more, and be harder to find. It is a nice area, with decent access to transportation, and close to pretty much everything, relatively speaking.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of sites you can peruse to find either shared accommodations or furnished/unfurnished apartments.

http://www.compartodepa.com.mx/

http://segundamano.com.mx/
jserio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guy and Beagle. I have decided to accept the offer. Guy, Chapultepec Park looks incredible. If I can live near that, then I won't need a gym membership! I just want to full Mexican experience which, to me, means living in a thriving community (barrio?) where I can walk to the shops and restaurants, or just people watch. This is one thing I miss about Georgia (and Europe in general) compared to the US.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North and west of that park are very well off areas...pricey to live in. East and south of it are colonias Roma, Condesa, Escandon and the others mentioned above...far easier to locate reasonable rents there.

Lots of runners and bikers at Chapultepec to be sure...the only problem with that park is that they close the gates to it pretty early...5 PM I think.

Parques Mexico and Espana are two others in the area that are not gated, though they are smaller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: