Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I begin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mally84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Where do I begin? Reply with quote

I am planning on moving to Rio in January of 2009 from Chicago. I will have a degree in English/Secondary Education. I am a little "type A" so just going with the flow down there is not going to work!! Here are my main questions if anyone could help me out and get me started in the right direction:

1. I want to keep rent under $500 a month and I would like to be in Leblon, Ipanema, or Copacabana. But I don't care how bad/small it is or if I have to share w/ someone as long as it is safe. Any suggestions?

2. Teaching jobs: I don't care what they consist of as long as I am bringing home at least $500 for the rent!!! Places I could call or send a resume to?

3. Where did you keep your money/the use of credit cards/ atm's? How much should I bring down with me?

If anyone could help, especially with renting and job searching, I would be very excited! Also, I would love to chat with or get in contact with someone who has been there or is currently in Rio, as this is my first international adventure! Thanks!

Mallory
dove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
You said that you don't care how much you make, as long as you are bringing home enough to cover your rent. Does that mean you have savings to cover things like utilities, food, transportation, going out? I hope so, because Brazil is NOT cheap.
I am not in Rio, so I really can't give you any advice about that city. But living in Sao Paulo, I am just breaking even teaching here. I have been here a little over 4 months and it hasn't been easy. I know that I could pick up more teaching hours if I really pounded the pavement, but I will leave in September, so I have kind of settled for just breaking even. I am glad I came here, glad I gave it a chance, glad I experienced something new. But I need to save money, so I'm going back to Japan.
My advice if you are going to come: learn as much Portuguese as possible!!!
Save as much as you can before you come here! Enjoy your time here!
Manaus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I begin? Reply with quote

mally84 wrote:
I am planning on moving to Rio in January of 2009 from Chicago. I will have a degree in English/Secondary Education. I am a little "type A" so just going with the flow down there is not going to work!! Here are my main questions if anyone could help me out and get me started in the right direction:

1. I want to keep rent under $500 a month and I would like to be in Leblon, Ipanema, or Copacabana. But I don't care how bad/small it is or if I have to share w/ someone as long as it is safe. Any suggestions?

2. Teaching jobs: I don't care what they consist of as long as I am bringing home at least $500 for the rent!!! Places I could call or send a resume to?

3. Where did you keep your money/the use of credit cards/ atm's? How much should I bring down with me?

If anyone could help, especially with renting and job searching, I would be very excited! Also, I would love to chat with or get in contact with someone who has been there or is currently in Rio, as this is my first international adventure! Thanks!

Mallory

I can't give you too much advice, since I've only visited Rio, but did you know that Leblon, Ipanema, and Copa can be more of the pricier neighborhoods? What about Botafogo (I'm a fan)? It should be cheaper and in my opinion it's a great place.

What do you mean by "where should you keep your cards"? I doubt you can open up a bank account, so you may want to hide your money in your socks/suitcase and do the same with your credit/debit cards. I was living in Brazil on a one year work visa and so I could not open up a bank account. I stashed my reais/atm card in my suitcase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: