Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I Can Read" Centres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: "I Can Read" Centres Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these centres? What are they like to work for? Pay and conditions? Thanks.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: I can read Reply with quote

In my time they worked six days a week . . . on weekends, as you would expect, and in the evenings. Caveat Emptor!

Also, they required teachers to attend training even on their days off with no extra pay or respect and this was under the threat of dismissal. Caveat Emptor!

Staff turnover seems to be high and staff disappear quietly without fanfare. Caveat Emptor!

Dismissal can be instant while you are required to give three months notice of ending employment. This violated the then Singapore "Section 10" of Singapore's Employment act. Caveat Emptor!

Things may hae changed, but you should try and get a solicitor to check out the contract to see if it meets Singapore's laws. Caveat Emptor!

There is no guarantee that when you give notice that they will not send you packing to suit themselves. Caveat Emptor!

I was on a three month probation. (A probation period is fair enough. However, three months is not good.) Caveat Emptor!

You are required to inform the school where you are going on holidays. Caveat Emptor!

In my days, favouriteism, hence corruption in the form of cronyism and collusion was active. This may have changed as staff come and go with frequency. (Never a good sign!) Caveat Emptor!

You work for a franchise who might treat you swell or they may treat you bad.

Examples are: Pay used to go directly into your bank account on a certain day. My employer paid by cheque on that day then there was a required time to clear the cheque. This time can be up to a week. Therefore, you are actually being paid a week late. Caveat Emptor!

ICR used to have pictures of their teachers on ICR's home page. They have been removed for one reason or another. Caveat Emptor!

These are some of the problems when I worked there. Caveat Emptor!

Remember: Singapore is a very expensivde place to rent accommodation and food is high in price. You should do your research on accommodation before arriving there if you are off shore. Caveat Emptor!

Further information is available on request through a pm.
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: "I can Read Centres" Reply with quote

Hi Krakatoa, SydGirl2 here. Thanks for your comments on I Can Read. I am currently considering a job offer from this company. I am aware that each centre is a franchise run according to a core set of regulations. I have been told that it is a 5 day week. There is still a 3 month probation period. I will ask about how the salary is paid i.e. bank a/c or cheque. I have yet to view a contract, which might clarify some things for me. I know that accommodation especially is expensive in Singapore, but, as I have no financial commitments in my home country, as well as having a small income there, I feel that I will manage financially.I am also curious about the actual I can Read method. From what I have gleaned from the website, it is a heavily based phonics approach. Also, how big were the classes? Thanks .
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: I Can Read Reply with quote

PM is on its way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: