Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA-Q's EFL dept: embarassing media!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: News from the front-line at CNAQ Reply with quote

Some things to mull over.....

(1) It is questionable how many influential decision-makers are influenced by this board or discussions on it. To get view, opinions, or info out, the more influential media needs to be used (i.e., newspaper and it's officially-affiliated blogs, TV networks (bad CBC News coverage did a world of good for the CNAQ instructors), radio, or whatever else. How much impact does eslcafe.com have on the world's opinion?

(2) How did an insignificant & "provinicial" CNA land the deal with Qatar to form CNAQ? There were other bidders with much more international experience (e.g., Seneca, Sheridan). I believe there are two answers: CNAQ secretly went behind the back of the other bidders and gave a lower bid than the agreed-upon minimum bid; and Qatar wanted a novice & ignorant college that they could more easily control and manipulate. The proof is in the pudding. Ask around!

(3) What is deceptive about working at CNAQ? It "looks" like a smooth, cleanly operated Canadian college. But when reality settles in, it turns out to be full of turn-coats, cronyism. To survive at CNAQ, people must fit the "mold" of management (i.e., prejudices). When working in a post-secondary institution that is clearly Arab-run (i.e., American University of Sharjah), at least employees can expect management to do things differently than the employees are used to. So, employees can start on the right foot and design their daily work routine with that in mind.

(4) Where is "Linebacker"? I miss Linebacker's insightful comments.
lukey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

The Qataris came over to Canada in 2001 and talked to several schools about managing their proposed college in Qatar, some named previously. They had their sites set on schools like BCIT and SAIT - especially SAIT since they had considerable experience in International ventures. Obviously they also visited CNA. From what I know BCIT and SAIT - and others - walked away from what the Qataris were offering - the financial arrangements were not satisfactory and I guess they could also foresee other problems. However CNA grabbed at the chance. The Qataris were apparently impressed with CNA's "hospitality" - I guess they felt that CNA could put on a good "show" which is very important to the Qataris. Newfoundland was suffering from a lagging economy and high unemployment at the time. So a 500 million dollar deal offering jobs for Newfoundlanders looked to good to pass up!! Even though the government and CNA knew nothing about what they were getting into. This is obvious when you look at the agreement between Qatar and CNA - called the Comprehensive Agreement - CNA has been trying to renegotiate it since the beginning.
The first classes started in September 2002 - CNA brought two ESL teachers!! The Qataris had told them during negotations that all Qataris spoke English, so no worries. Well as soon as they started testing students they found that virtually no students could speak english!! How about that for planning? The original planning documents for the college did not forecast that 50% of the instructors would be ESL teachers.Did anyone every wonder why CN AQ converted classrooms to offices in the first year - it is because they only expected a few ESL teachers - not half of the faculty.
They were originally planning on only hiring Newfoundlanders and seconding CNAQ personnel. Because of the high demand for ESL teachers they had to start hiring people from the rest of Canada and Canadians teaching in other parts of the world, which really rocked their socks on the Rock!!
Oh well, the contract expires in 2012 - maybe the Qataris will get sick of kicking the Canadians around and try someone else. After all they kicked the British out in 2000 who were running their first Technical College.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Future omens Reply with quote

Which technicial college was that?
Lonesome Dove

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Speak of the Devil Reply with quote

Speak of the devil, and he will appear.

A piece in yesterday's Gulf Times, front page, is headlined "Education council planning to start community colleges." The specialties covered will be IT, Finance and administration, Health sciences, and Oil and Gas-related occupations. Opening in 2009 or 2010.

THere is no mention in the article of the obvious fact that Qatar already _has_ a community college that concentrates on exactly the same fields--CNAQ.

Sounds like all the folks enjoying their fat pay packets at CNAQ regardless of the actual quality of instruction perhaps should look for a Plan B. The Qataris may have twigged to the fact that CNA is just not up to the job.
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can one expect any better from american community colleges
Reality check

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: New community college Reply with quote

Hmm... that is indeed interesting. Does this mean CNAQ will not get a contract renewal, or Qataris are just checking out what other fish are out there? It will be a nightmare to run a school comprising of programs from different institutions, but since when Qataris think anything through Laughing

If they can start this new school by 2010 still that will give them 2 years to see if the new system is working before giving CNAQ the boot.
I wonder what will happen to the entire CNAQ faculty. Will they be offered positions in the new institution?
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonesome Dove's post was rubbish.

His/her post is misleading and doesn't represent the article which can be viewed here.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=256526&version=1&template_id=57&parent_id=56

There is a void of colleges that don't cater to high school students with lower marks. The new initiative is to fill this void. (How can this be interpreted any other way....read what is written ....if you're to use your own advice you once gave me.)

Private and gov't schools are being planned on huge scales throughout the Gulf. More students are entering education here. Not less. Why would schools be closed in this part of the world? Just because some posters think the school is being run poorly doesn't mean they will close.

CNAQ is unlikely to close. There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest otherwise. Anyway, if their contract wasn't going to re renewed, then why would new campuses be constructed Too much infrastructure has been invested.

But speculate away as it's a free forum....rumor mills are integral to some people's intentions.

mts.
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tend to agree with MyTrunkShow - sounds like they're trying to start up something similar to IAT in UAE - HCT campuses haven't been closed down and while the annual reduction in faculty come spring happens every year, so too does the mad scramble to acquire/re-acquire them come September when more students are allowed entrance than had been planned in the spring.
Reality check

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Rumor indeed Reply with quote

Nobody said that CNAQ is closing. But a couple of things to keep in mind,

1. CNAQ does not own a single asset in that facility. The buildings and everything in it are owned by the Qatari sponsor COT. So, they can kick out CNAQ, and whoever wins the new contract will use the facility.

2. The very reason CNAQ opened its doors was to accommodate the students who did not make it to universities. So, this proposed new community college (if it ever materializes) will directly compete with CNAQ. There are not enough community college level students to feel more than one institution, so someone will loose.

3. But the good news is that it may never pan out. So no need to panic, everything is cupcakes and sprinkles.
millie18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true - CNA does not own anything, nor do any of the major US universities who have set up shop in Doha.

From what I understood in the article, the new proposal is to take in those students who can't succeed in the CNA-Q programs let alone the universities in University City.
lukey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Community College Reply with quote

I see old Hal J (MOD edit) is involved somewhat in this project - interesting - looks like direct competition with CNAQ - CNAQ is basically a community college - modeled after CNA - a community college in Newfoundland. All very strange - but not too strange for Qatar I guess. Qatar is eventually going to run out of students for all these educational institutions - Nationals I mean - although the article does say expats can go there which will help pad the numbers - and they haven't decided whether it will be co-ed?
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: New community colleges Reply with quote

What will these new community colleges mean for CNAQ?

http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Local_News&subsection=Qatar+News&month=March2009&file=Local_News200903315184.xml

I heard they only got a few years left on their contract with QF.
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these posts about how CNA-Q is badly run, etc, are these all about the EFL department or do these apply to other faculties/departments as well?

Could some or most of the complaints arise from the fact that these instructors were not prepared for the stark differences of life in Qatar compared to what they're used to in NA?

Living in a different country, be it Switzerland or Qatar, is difficult; life in the middle east may especially be difficult if you're not prepared for the life style, class-based society, how to handle alone time, bureaucracy, slooowww life, etc.

I am a Canadian and I have lived in Turkey, Dubai, Iran, and western Europe. I know that like Dubai, Qatar is a class-based society and other than going out to do your shopping, eating out and attending functions, it's best to keep to your own community and compound. Since you can't do anything about their treatment of Asian workers, you just have to pretend you don't see it no matter how it goes against your principles.

If you've agreed to work there and receive the higher pay, you also have to agree to live under their rules, particularly that you're quests and not citizens. Turkey and Iran weren't like that. Very open societies where you live among the locals (no compounds) and interact with everyone. Bureaucracy is the same though.

So with these in mind, should I worry or take into account anything when I'm negotiating my contract?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: