Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Satisfaction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of your job?
Love it!
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
It's usually good with the odd bad day
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
So so
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Can't wait to leave
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 33

nomadder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Job Satisfaction Reply with quote

So how much we do really like this line of work? With the option of leaving after one year maybe many are apt to get tired of their job, see too many negatives and just move on. It's easy to not try to improve things.
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted the last choice on my present job. This doesn't mean that I hate teaching EFL, just that I hate almost every aspect of my present job.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for "can't wait to leave" as I am currently in a dead-end part-time disposable job situation. Actually I can't wait to get back into TEFL/TESL. Regarding my last teaching job, I would have voted "love it!"
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Love it" is a little strong, but really like it, yes. I enjoy the perks and holidays the most. I know I'll be spoiled for life when it comes to time off.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the school and students. I enjoy my work, but don't like where I'm living. Neutral
I think when my contract ends I'll be happy to move on to a new country.
Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm given the chance to actually teach. My students actually try to learn. My classes are not micr-managed into banality. Oh, and I get to choose class content, etc. Professionally, I'm happy.
leeroy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my lessons are good, it puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day. When my lessons are shit, it puts me in a shitty mood - and lessons aren't consistently good (...enough for me) all the time. My teaching is always getting better - but my idea of a "good" lesson rises at the same rate. Consequently, I am becoming a better teacher by the day but am no more "satisfied"...

I remember asking a senior teacher at my old school about this - she had been in it for 10 years, had a masters, and was married to a lawyer (hence had no need for money). I wanted to know if you reached a point where you no longer improve - your lessons simply become so good that you reach a plateau. Did teaching become "no longer interesting" because you had simply learned everything there was to learn? She said no, naturally...

I think being critical of my teaching has both a positive and negative influence on my job satisfaction. On the one hand, I know (ahem) that I'm an effective teacher. Students regularly tell me "you are better than last teacher", "we want you again" - which I brush off with modesty (but secretly enjoy).

Lots of teachers don't make a lot of effort, aren't very good, know they aren't very good, and are completely secure with it. Personally, if I fudge up 2 minutes of feedback I'll be going over it in my head while having a cigarette outside. So in some ways you could say my job satisfaction is less than theirs. Others might argue, though, that they do not get any "job satisfaction" - they only lack guilt (or a conscience?).
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are out of a job and badly need the cash, then you probably "love" any job that comes your way... I am currently remaining "independent" so that I can accept THE good job if and when it does come my way. WHich means that I sometimes go for days without...not money or food but work. Then I begin missing my work... Actually, it gives me a lot of good vibes. ...bad ones too, to be sure. But, compared to other jobs I performed before, this is still the best of all my jobs!
joe-joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my job as a teacher generally pretty good, and I would concur with Roger that compared to the jobs that I did before, it is infinitely better.
nomadder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people like teaching better than other jobs? I think it must be things like control(when you can choose what and how you teach), the sense of helping others and seeing progress among other things.
joe-joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself, TEFL teaching offered me a way to get out of a rut. I was stuck in a factory with people working for me, and bosses above me. You would not believe the amount of BS I had to deal with on a daily basis from above and below me in the organisation, and the whole system was geared to reward ass kissers, not capable people.

Sure there is some element of office politics in any job, but at least with teaching it is usually my personal ability which is directly reflected in my performance. I like the environment where I can use my imagination, and see some purpose to what I'm doing, both for myself and my students.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time in 12 years I don't enjoy my job. I can put up with it. (The end is in sight, only four more months to go) The reason I'm not enjoying it as much as I should is probably linked to the culture, students who don't want or have to study and incompetent admin.
struelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Job Satisfaction Reply with quote

Quote:
So how much we do really like this line of work?

All in all, a great deal. However, we don't live in a perfect world so there will always be some negatives to a job. Most of my past and present complaints about jobs and employers have been about admin issues, that is scheduling, hours, pay, holidays, and the like.

Ideally a well-run school should have two components of employers: one employer that is well-versed in teaching methodology and the other who is specialized in administration.

The scheduling issue is particularly a hot-button one for me. I enjoy teaching, but I also like to make money. The actual TEFL hourly wage I get is damn good, on par with what I'd see in a home country. But the low hours and sporadically arranged schedules make it difficult to really get that cash flowin'

In my case, it's a few hours here, a long break, another hour here, a break, etc.

I feel like I'm on permanent split-shift and permanantly on-call. These breaks aren't really breaks at all, because employers can drop in to the office and fill them with extra stuff.

I brought this issue to my employer, but she just said, "Well, the Chinese work like this." True, they probably do.

Next semester this nonsense will stop because I arranged a more compact schedule. During the times I'm not on the job, I just won't go to the office.

I don't like the same ol' boring 9-5 schedule in an office job, but I don't enjoy the other extreme either, that is sporadic teaching. There is a balance to be found here. Hopefully once I get more qualifications and a Masters, I'll be able to get jobs that offer a more consistent schedule and more hours.

Steve
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted so-so. I'm currently teachcing at home (Canada) at a uni and I probably would've liked it had I not been spoiled at my last job, which I absolutely, unequivocally loved. Was working for an oil company in the Middle East. One month there, 12 hours a day, 28 straight days but then a month at home on holiday with pay. Lovely co-workers and in charge of my own corner of the English dept so could do as a I liked as long as I got results. Fantastic. Can't wait to find a similar position Laughing
denise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teaching, although I approach it in a way similar to that described by Leeroy, so sometimes I just don't feel satisfied with my performance. That said, though, I love having the opportunity to improve, I love seeing things "click" for my students, love getting them to trust me and open up in class, love not having a dull office job, love being able to get out of the States and get a different perspective on life, etc.

My school is not perfect--I seriously doubt that anything out there is perfect--but overall I am quite happy.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: