Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else attending TESOL ARABIA in March?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$300 to $400 for the Job Fair??

Surely not...?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

Afraid he is right about the costs. I was just looking at the www.tesol.edu website and read the acrobat registration form. My memory could be failing me, but I thought that in the past you paid extra to go to the Job Fair, but I didn't see it on the form - other than charges for something called 'job symposiums' - which sounded like getting advice rather than getting a job, but I didn't check further.

Actually as a full time student, you would be eligible for significant reductions in cost. A non member of TESOL pays about $475 to register for the whole convention, whereas a non member full time student would pay about $180.

But, you're not really thinking of going to the US for this anyway. Your money is better spent on TESOLArabia. Smile

VS
Irish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our university is funding a travel grant to send one person in the MA TESL program to Long Beach in March. One of my professors is pushing me to apply for it but I'd much rather attend TESOL Arabia. A student who attended last year's TESOL conference said that the jobs were mostly oriented to the US market. That doesn't help me find a job in the Middle East. Unfortunately, TESOL Arabia isn't realistic on my budget, so maybe I will apply for the travel grant--at least I could skip out of the conference and go visit my buddy in LA.
Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: TESOL 04 in the US Reply with quote

Hello Irish,

I still think there will be quite a few recruiters from the Middle East at this conference. They will be courting people like us who can't afford the high cost of getting to TESOL Arabia.
Irish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Only one way to find out Reply with quote

Hey there, Belmont:

I'm hoping you're right. Heck, if I can go on the school's dime, it's certainly worth a try. (And I still get to skip out and visit my friend in LA, at least for a little while.) Can't know unless we go, right?

See ya'll in Long Beach, insha'allah.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irish,

I've been to a couple of TESOL conventions and there were a number of Middle East recruiters there. I wonder if there is anywhere on the TESOL website that may list employers who are attending. TESOLArabia would be better, but I know the problem. I'd apply to get the grant anyway as it would also be a chance to network with any presenters from Middle East institutions. This is how I got to the Middle East in the first place. It was all due to people that I met at TESOL New York in 1985. Smile

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

i had thought the $400 referrred to TESOL Arabia!

PS Can you register in advance over the internet?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo

http://tesolarabia.org/conference/registration/index.php

This looks to be the link to register on-line. There is an email contact name if you have questions.

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to VS and all the above people who replied!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do TESOL Arabia publish a list in advance of the recruiters who are going to be at the Jobs Fair?

Seem to recall seeing something of that sort from a few years ago.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

I think it is a matter of rounding up the usual suspects. Smile I have been to TA a number of times through the years and it seemed to be the same places that were interviewing. But I must admit that since I was never job hunting I didn't memorize the boards. Every place that requires an MA+ will be there plus a few more - from the Emirates. There are usually two or three from Oman. From there I'd just be speculating --- perhaps they will post it on the website??

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: TA 2004 Reply with quote

Considering the cost of the event, I found the turnout of recruiters to be quite sad. FRom the UAE were Higher Colleges, UAEU, U of Sharjah, American U, Military Language Institute-mabe Zayed U but I don't recall seeing them. There were then some stragglers who could afford to recruit but they were hardly reputable institutions (e.g. Dubai National School who didn't have a booth, rather a "table"). You needed the MA for almost all of them. There were a few from Oman and Saudi. Other than that, no great leads. If you have the Masters or will have it in a few months time, then I suppose it's worth going to. If not, don't bother.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I write this the travel agents are doing a roaring trade selling tickets to the gullible from Saudi Arabia who really belive that the grass is greener in the UAE.

Thoise who are attempting to escape from the blessed land of Saudi Arabia will be sorry ! Sometimes the gras is distinctly browner !
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I din't know there was much grass in either country. Of any colour.
Saffron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: A Question of Green Grass???????????????/ Reply with quote

Well, the gullible will certainly be those applying to Abu Dhabi University - not only is there NO grass but they will end up stuck in the mud (financially they will merely end up scarlet red).

Saffron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: