Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

101 Lessons learned in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenbhow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

72. Hanami seasons is a lot of fun.

71. Japanese firework displays are far superior to those in the States.

70. Living in a city that had no subway or public trains and spotty bus service at best really sucked compared to Japan (Seattle btw, though it did have a lot of other cool stuff).

There, now we're back on a positive spin again.
Ichigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT:

Canuck2112 wrote:

79.) The gap between 3kyuu and 2kyuu on the JLPT is wider than the grand canyon. They really should make a "2.5 kyuu".

Uhm .... actually they already did that. Starting next year there will be 5 levels. They added one level between 3 and 2.
Level 4 => 5
Level 3 => 4
new one => 3
Level 2 => 2
Level 1 => 1
onesentiment

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: comments Reply with quote

stevenbhow wrote:
72. Hanami seasons is a lot of fun.

71. Japanese firework displays are far superior to those in the States.

70. Living in a city that had no subway or public trains and spotty bus service at best really sucked compared to Japan (Seattle btw, though it did have a lot of other cool stuff).

There, now we're back on a positive spin again.

hanami season is definitely relaxing.
Angelfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69) Group nudity isn't as scary as you once thought (onsen).

6Cool There is a country with worse TV than your home country.

67) Eating food in season gives you a better appreciation of food.
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66) An excellent and affordable public transportation system is much better than relying on a car.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: 65 Reply with quote

65. Guaranteed access to health insurance is a Good Thing. Can you tell I'm American?
shuize

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Reply with quote

chinagirl wrote:
65. Guaranteed access to health insurance is a Good Thing. Can you tell I'm American?

65a. Health insurance is good. The care one gets on it here can vary widely.
onesentiment

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
66) An excellent and affordable public transportation system is much better than relying on a car.

I miss having the freedom of a car, although I don't need it where I'm at.
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesentiment wrote:
I miss having the freedom of a car, although I don't need it where I'm at.

I'm way into performance cars and hope to always have one, but I don't want to rely on a car for my commute or for city driving.
Canuck2112

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right you are. I just checked their website and saw this. Sounds like a good idea...along with the additional level they are making some of it communication-based.

I managed to get my 1kyuu without having said a single word in Japanese.

Ichigo wrote:
OT:

Uhm .... actually they already did that. Starting next year there will be 5 levels. They added one level between 3 and 2.
Level 4 => 5
Level 3 => 4
new one => 3
Level 2 => 2
Level 1 => 1
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

64. When someone says "that will be a little difficult" ("chotto muzukashi") with the sound of air sucking through their teeth, it really means NO or don't even ask.

63. The stuff that passes for Japanese food in other countries is disappointing, often a joke, or sometimes disgusting.
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
63. The stuff that passes for Japanese food in other countries is disappointing, often a joke, or sometimes disgusting.

Ditto the stuff that passes for western and/or ethnic food in Japan.
Zzonkmiles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62. The end seats are the most popular ones on the trains.

61. If you don't live near where the action is and/or don't have a bicycle, you usually have to choose between going home at 11:00 when the party's just getting started and going home at 6:00 the next morning and end up completely messing up the next day.

60. One way to know your Japanese ability is getting stronger is when you can recognize entire words without reading each character, such as the names of food and train stations.

59. Local trains usually have many seats available, but are very very slow.

58. Smokers breath is very, very common.

57. Summers are very, very hot. Winters are very, very cold.

56. Everyone has their own favorite conbini. These loyalties can lead to many fierce debates. (I like Family Mart and Lawson's the most, personally.)

55. A conbini is a grocery store, post office, bill payment center, and bank at the same time.

54. Your mobile phone is almost as functional as a PC.

53. There will come a time when you start saying "EHHHH?!" even if you think it sounds awful.

52. Most of your friends will be temporary because it's really a revolving door of Westerners coming in and packing up.
Squire22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zzonkmiles wrote:

61. If you don't live near where the action is and/or don't have a bicycle, you usually have to choose between going home at 11:00 when the party's just getting started and going home at 6:00 the next morning and end up completely messing up the next day.

52. Most of your friends will be temporary because it's really a revolving door of Westerners coming in and packing up.

These are kind of connected...

51. If you don't sacrifice some money, i.e. getting a taxi at 2/3/4 in the morning, you probably won't make the friends that you would otherwise, the people in the local area that you connect with. This can be an important time for you, especially if "You don't live near where the action is".

Also,

50. If you're in a relatively small community, the group of foreigners tends to be fairly small, try not to piss off too many people within that group as you will probably be ostracised from that community. Hence you will also be exiled from the local foreign(English speaking) community, if you're fine with only having Japanese friends, that cool, otherwise remember to be nice to people.
onesentiment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire22 wrote:
Zzonkmiles wrote:

These are kind of connected...

51. If you don't sacrifice some money, i.e. getting a taxi at 2/3/4 in the morning, you probably won't make the friends that you would otherwise, the people in the local area that you connect with. This can be an important time for you, especially if "You don't live near where the action is".

Also,

50. If you're in a relatively small community, the group of foreigners tends to be fairly small, try not to piss off too many people within that group as you will probably be ostracised from that community. Hence you will also be exiled from the local foreign(English speaking) community, if you're fine with only having Japanese friends, that cool, otherwise remember to be nice to people.

50 is true, I've learned that first-hand. Many foreigners in Japan typically have some serious insecurity issues, so anything you say can or will most likely be used against you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: