Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TEFL at AUC ( NEED ADVICE)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiby

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: MA in TEFL at AUC ( NEED ADVICE) Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I'm starting my MA in TEFL on a fellowship at the AUC next fall and I know that several people here have already experienced it. I would really appreciate any tips or advice anyone could give me about the courses, which are the best ones and any useful information that I might need.
Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully one of the current graduates will pass by since I was a Fellow back during the time of the pharaohs. Laughing I do believe that you will be the first group to start out on the new campus,so I expect that things will be a bit disorganized. (as in... chaotic) Have you put in to stay in the hostels or will you try to find a flat? If you can, opt for a hostel room on the new campus until you can figure out where you want to live.

Considering how long ago I was there, a couple of my professors are still there or at least they are still listed. When I was there, we had the choice of doing a thesis or comps (seems the same on the website now) and you also chose your electives towards applied linguistics or theoretical linguistics. As to which are the best, it depends on your interests. There is not a huge choice, and as a fellow, you have to fit classes into your teaching schedule too.

Personally I chose the theoretical direction because I found the courses more interesting and I wanted to do the thesis instead of comps. Pick your poison.

So that is pretty general advice because I have been gone too long to give many specifics. I can tell you that it was the best decision that I ever made and I truly enjoyed my time at AUC. There is nothing like a pretty much free MA. Cool

VS
hiby

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx VS for your reply. I don't have a problem with the living situation because I am a Canadian-Egyptian and I've been living in Cairo for a couple of years now with my husband, so we have an apartment here.
I'm worried about being the first to experience the new campus because like you said, I'm sure it will be really disorganized. Was it really hectic teaching, taking classes and studying at the same time or was it easy to manage?Was it easy to get a full time job in the ELI after you finished your MA?
Thx,
Hiby
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only my first semester was terribly chaotic because I was assigned to the department that did business outreach. So, I was teaching at a factory out near al-Haram (the pyramids for the non-Cairo residents). That was a long trek by taxi for someone who was new to the Cairo taxi system and spoke no Arabic. But, it forced me to learn a lot in a short time, and from there on it was a breeze. Cool The following semesters they put me on campus doing pre-ELI to make my life a bit easier. Do you know which department you are assigned to? It is not difficult if you are teaching and working on the same campus. Nice that your housing situation is already settled, but I hope your commute won't be too difficult. Of course, you will have family to fit into the time schedule, so you will need to be organized. Cool

Being on the new campus will naturally be a good new/bad news situation. I loved the old campus, but the new campus should clear up the chronic AC problems (old loud clunky temperamental wall units that died regularly) in most of the classrooms. But, the ELI/TEFL department is small and well-organized by the standards of the ME, so it shouldn't be too awful. That first semester should be very... um... interesting.

As to being hired after graduating, when I was there - and for the years before and after - none of the Fellows were ever hired in the ELI. That said, few of the fellows were Cairo residents and those Egyptians who were took off for the Gulf as soon as they graduated. You do present the economic benefit of being a local hire and the negative of your coming under Egyptian labor law (after X period of employment, they can never fire you). Reality is that few teachers leave the ELI so they do little hiring. The department which seems to hire more is Freshman Writing. So, if you are native speaker (did all your schooling in Canada?) and write well, your chances may be better there.

Your best chance may be adult education (DPS/CIT - or whatever it is called these days) which will stay in the downtown campus I heard. But, the pay is very low - a fraction of the university.

Again... remember that I haven't taught/lived there since 2001, so things may have changed. (I got my MA there in the mid-80's) I do know one person who is just graduating from the program, but she rarely comes on the board... especially at this busy time in her studies. I will try to find her email.

VS
hiby

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input VS. Do you still teach at the AUC or have you left?
The new campus is actually more convenient for me, and you avoid the downtown rush which can be a nightmare.
I'm hoping that the new move will open more job opportunities in the ELI. I think I'll be working on campus but I'm not sure yet.
I know it was a while ago Smile but did you study from the course books or your lecture notes or smth else? Do you know how much the course books will cost?
Thx
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help hiby. I retired in 2001 which is why I have plenty of free time to waste on the computer. Cool

Of course we used papyrus scrolls... (I wish).. but seriously, I would assume that they still use standard US textbooks - which will cost an arm and a leg. Texts were the major expenditure of my 2 years getting the MA. I couldn't even make a guess what they cost these days. You could give the AUC bookstore a call and ask them. (or drop by... I loved the AUC bookstores!!)

VS
Anidaane

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PMs.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I have just had a look at the MA fellowship forms. It looks rather interesting.

I have a BA (Hons) Social Anthropology (2:ii)
8 years ESL teaching experience including one year in Saudi Arabia.
I don't speak a lot of Arabic (can do the supermarket!).

What are my chances of getting the fellowship?

Thanks.

WI
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Knowing Arabic is far less important than having taught Arabic speakers. Not that I had either skill when I applied. I know that they prefer a related BA. (first choice being in Education and/or English) There are only about 7 or 8 Fellows a year. Also, they naturally have a preference for Americans, and there is usually an Egyptian or two. That said, I know of Canadians and Brits who have been chosen over the last 20 years. I know that some non-Americans don't like this type of MA program... very unlike the British systems. It is 5 semesters of Linguistics/methodology courses plus either a thesis or comprehensives - while teaching 7-10 hours a week in one of their programs.

It is all about the competition. How many applicants? Who fit their preferences more? You lose nothing by applying and it's a chance for basically a free MA which is well recognized in the Middle East.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: