Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1250 USD per month

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james_tesol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: 1250 USD per month Reply with quote

I have been offered a job in Odessa for 1250 USD per month with free accomodation. This seems like a good package.

How far will this salary go in Odessa? Is there anyway i can save on this if i still like to go out at weekends?

I have looked at the price index for Ukraine on tefl.com and just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of lifestyle i can expect on this salary.

Thanks
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the face of it, that's a good offer. Especially so if the "accomodation" is private. Your utilities should be less than $50 which leaves you quite a bit of discretionary spending money. So, just food, beverages, travel, savings and living to fit within $1200 or so.

Depending on your lifestyle, I would think you could save a bit and still have a reasonable life. Of course, the quality of the accomodation is your big wild card.

Which company you going to work for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
james_tesol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one of the 4 main language schools in Ukraine and they seem to have a good reputation.

In Ukraine will i be eating out at street vendors or eating at stalls or buying food to take home or cooking for myself? In Asia we tend to buy cheap street food and take it home. What do Ukrainians do?

Also, I was wondering if you could tell me what typical costs are in Odessa for the following -just trying to get an idea of costs there...

1)a train ticket to Kyiv
2) a cinema ticket
3) a cheap meal for one
4) a beer in a bar/pub
5) nightclub entry
6) pint of milk

Also, as i am 28 and single ,what will my social life be like in Odessa? I am outgoing and friendly ie. (normal) lol... is there an expat community or social netwrok? do Ukranians like to have foreign friends? What are the girls like? Are they foreigner friendly?

Sorry to put all these questions on to you! But from your other posts you seem very knowledgable on Ukraine!! cheers!
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can maybe help with some of these questions...

Eating - supermarkets are the easiest way, that and eating out at one of the many eateries the city boasts. You can eat out for a reasonable price. All price ranges are catered for.

Now I'm more up on Kiev but some things aren't so different.
$1250 in your pocket is easily enough to live quite well on. If it's the school I'm thinking of, then you'll be well looked after.

Cinema is cheap - depends which one, but prices are in the few dollars range.
Beer is very cheap from shops but fairly pricey in some bars. Again, prices vary dramatically, as with most things in Ukraine. You can always find something to fit your pocket.
A cheap meal for one? Super cheap? A McD's cheeseburgar will set you back around a dollar or so... For under 10 dollars, you can get a reasonable meal in quite a few places, not including booze.
Night club prices again vary so much. From free to ridiculously expensive.
Socially, there is a lot of scope in Ukraine. If you make the effort, it shouldn't be hard to make local friends.
My Ukrainian students are (now that I've got to know them a bit) the friendliest I've ever had. I've taught in quite a lot of countries too.
The girls? What can I say? You won't be dissapointed.

Anyway, perhaps someone else can add some stuff?
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right on with the above quotes. If you are budget-minded, just buy food and bring it home to your kitchen. Your only real concern is the quality of the accommodation they will provide you. Assuming it is acceptable, this is a decent offer for TEFL. You can always add on a few private students for cash or swapping Russian for English lessons.

Your social life will be fine just remember the HIV/STD rate in Odessa rivals many cities in Africa. Be selective and careful. Common sense goes a long way to having a decent life no matter what country you live in.

My wife will not let me eat at many of the stalls due to questionable sanitation so exercise care and, again, common sense. The restaurants are generally fine and price ranges are wide (as mentioned above).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: