Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone out there? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm teaching in Campinas at the moment.

Anyone else here in Brazil? I notice the last message was posted in November....

Crying or Very sad
Genkikiwi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: hi from Tokyo Reply with quote

Gidday Saudade...(this is probably not kosher as far as posting goes... as i:m saying gidday from Tokyo... not in Brazil...) but i had just noticed too a lack of activity on the Brazil site... ( i was curious to see how life is there ) anyway i thought i:d say Hi in case no one else does...

hope you are having fun...
sayonara
GK
Kitegirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's the opposite of all of us losers here in China who log on every day in the desperate hope of some form of human contact (Western human contact, that is).

As opposed to us laowei, everybody in Brazil must have a life.
CyberStylz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! I'm leaving for Fortaleza on May 13 for a 2 week vacation. Going to check out the ESL scene while I'm there.

Saudade - Are you working legally? If not, how is everything working out?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�m thinking of getting and ESL job in Sao Paulo to be with my fianc�e and her family since bringing her to the US has become too difficult and time-consuming these days and it�s next to impossible for foreign nationals to work professional jobs there. I hear you really can�t set yourself up with something until you�re there.

Cyberstylz: Fortaleza is a beautiful city, but there probably won�t be much there in terms of ESL. Sao Paulo is really the best place to be for that.
saudade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'd sort of given up, so I was pleased to see some life here in the Brazil forum, even if no one is in Brazil Very Happy

GK: I enjoy it here, and it's actually a great place to live, although there's no money. Still, the country and the people are beautiful and the culture is fascinating. But honestly, I'm equally curious about Hong Kong, which is on my list of places to go.

Kitegirl: What you say is pretty funny, since I often log onto the China forum to see how things are going, and exactly for the same reasons. I've actually been thinking of going to China at some point. But I'm very glad you stopped by.

Cyberstylz: I am actually legal, but the visa situation here is complex, which is why there aren't more people teaching here. That being said, it is possible to work, and native speakers are as desirable as elsewhere in the world. But visa sponsorship is less common and less easy than in other countries. It's possible to work illegally with a school (although it helps a lot if you know someone), and it's possible to just put up flyers (although it helps to have a little Portuguese). It's true there's a lot more work in Sao Paulo (though a lot more competition as well). What Acidburn says is true, though, it's hard for foreign nationals here.
CyberStylz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone!

My friend is in Palmas now and he said he met an American that is working for a school in the area(can't recall the name) and has several privates. I'll post more information when my friend gets back in town and I'm able to get the 4-1-1.

Saudade - How did you get your legal status to work? Did you get married? Sorry to pry....Just wondering....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bostonian23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Rio Reply with quote

Saudade (or anyone else),

Do you have any idea what the job market is like in Rio right now? I'm thinking about heading down there in September or October. I'm going to get a TEFL certificate this summer, and I also have an undergraduate degree in English and a master's degree in journalism (plus a few years teaching experience, including a year working with ESL students in a writing center at Boston University).

I've been told that the best way to go about things is to get certified and then wait until I get down there to look for jobs. I know the pay is very low, but is it possible to make enough money to live on? I'll obviously have some of my own money to rely upon, but I hope to avoid blowing through all my savings.

If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: