Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get qualified for NET?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenny Kimchee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: How to get qualified for NET? Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Ken. I'm a 32 year old American. I hold a B.A., Philosophy, from a major American University. I taught ESL at a private language institute in Korea for eighteen months. I'm currently in my fourth month teaching English in junior high schools in Japan with the JET Program.

I'm thinking about applying for the NET program in a few years and I need to get teaching certification(s) to qualify.

I have two main options: I can get certified to teach, either in my home country or another Western country, or I can get a Master's in Education/Linguistics, etc.

I need your advice. I'm looking for the path that:

1) is the cheapest
2) is the quickest
3) will pay the highest dividends
4) and teach me how to teach

I've thought about getting certified to teach in my home state in America, so if I choose to go back one day I will already be qualified. I've also looked at distance Master's programs with University of Tasmania, University of New England, and UTS.

I've emailed the NET program several times and they've been less than forthcoming with answers or suggestions. I asked them what constitutes a "recognized qualification" and they replied:

" We cannot tell if a teacher's certification or a MEd
> program will meet our NET teacher training
> qualification requirement since it depends on the
> length and content of the course and whether a
> teaching practicum is included and and its duration.
> Normally, a "recognised" teacher training
> qualification should be one that enable you to apply
> for a teacher registration or license in your home
> country or any other country upon completion of the
> course. The award title of the program is not that
> relevant except it must meet our requirements."

Great. They tell you that you need to get qualifed but refuse to tell you what qualifies as a qualification.

I asked them specifically about the University of Tasmania program and they refused to answer. Does anyone have experience with UTAS and NET?

So, if you were me, with several years to plan and get trained, what would you do? Thanks for your time. I look forward to your replies.

KK
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a masters program with a teaching practicum component, then it would be difficult if you are doing it by distance. I've looked at all of those programs you've mentioned because I also am looking at a Masters too. Don't gear your Masters degree just for the NET scheme. Do the program that you like best.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NET program wants teachers that are certified to teach in Western countries...so if the Masters program you take would qualify you to teach in your country or where the program is located, then you qualify for the NET scheme. It needs to have a praticum of a certain length and I have no idea how long that is...

You can't expect the civil servants that deal with NET applicants to know about the inner workings of the various M'Ed programs around the world. Give them the details of the program (practicum) and inform them whether or not it leads to certification in Australia.

So if teaching is your career then take the courses necessary to get certified in your country of origin as eventually you may return home. At that time it would be nice to be certified. Also the b'ed will allow you to apply to international schools.
AndyinHK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: PNET Reply with quote

Have any of you guys heard rumors to the affect that the PNET scheme will be discontinued? The PNET scheme was designed for foreign teachers to instruct local teachers on "western" teaching methodology/pedagogy and cultural issues. It was always meant as a "temporary" programme. Since the government is having fiscal difficulty they are looking at also reducing the "special allowance" before they cut the programme. The government refuses to say exactly when the programme will be cancelled for fear that PNETS will run for the doors.

I'm not saying the above to worry anyone, but this is what I heard from a source I know who has always been frank.
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

G'day Ken. I agree with the first two posters. Opt for a course which will qualify you to teach in your home country. Not only will it benefit you much more greatly when you return home, but it also seems this qualification is what NET recruitment requires. The MEd at University of Tasmania will not qualify you to teach in Australia. I can't say whether the US education department would look at it differently. I've just completed a 1 year graduate entry Bachelor of Teaching (primary) at the University of Western Sydney. This is run in accelerated mode and uses suitable credit points from your undergraduate degree to 'create' a Bachelors degree. It's my thinking that this looks more impressive than a DipEd (which is what it really is). UWS also has a solid reputation for it's teaching programs. Anyway, something to think about. You'd have to stay put in Australia for a year, but I'd dare say it'd still be cheaper than a similar course in the US, plus it'll qualify you to teach in the US also. Just something to think about. There's also the MA Teaching (Primary) at University of Sydney. This course run for 18 months and includes a practicum component more flexible than UWS. I believe you can perform your practicum anywhere in the world provided the course-coordinator deems it suitable. So you could always go back to the US to complete your prac. This course will also qualify you teach in the US, as with UK, Canada, NZ etc. and International schools

Anyway, just some suggestions.

Good luck

Rayman
once again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the newspapers this morning "Frank" was right on the nail. The legislative education panel has discussed cancelling the net scheme and such suggestions have the support of the professional teachers union in HK and the Federation of Higher education Staff associations. Anymore news from "Frank" would be greatly appreciated.
once again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South China Morning Post, section A page 3. Maybe even on the news tonight, but if you run you might still be able to get a copy!
AndyinHK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frank" is a headmaster with over 20 years of experience.
The rumor (I STRESS RUMOR, although it is from a reliable source) is that the secondary NET scheme wouldn't change "too much" but the PNET scheme could be discontinued first. Depending on the deficit, it could be axed within 2 years.

I hope he is wrong.
once again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy..and on another point of global"s..qualifications for the PNET scheme are not as high as those for teaching in "home" countries. Just check out the EMB website for proof. It is perfectlly possible to join the PNET scheme without a PGCE, which is the required teaching certificate in my 'home' country at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: