Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I stay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can Communist Smurf stay?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Can I stay? Reply with quote

During my search for employment outside of teaching, I came across a very interesting opportunity working at the US Embassy in Moscow. As it turns out, the job pays quite well -- approximately what one might earn while living in the States.

So I got the job and I won't be a teacher. Can I stay?
joe-joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got my vote comrade......! Laughing
Volga Boatman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and mine!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communist Smurf (notice I didn't call you Imbibing Smurf or whatever else),

Do tell, do tell about this illustrious new position of yours. It sounds good even though we know nothing about it.

P.S. I voted for you to stay.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: The Spy Who Loved Me Reply with quote

Oh sure ... trade in your English credentials and become a pawn for the American Spymaster. Mr. Green

I voted 'stay' ... but I think you should change your nick to "Imbibing-Former-Communist-Now-Turned-American-Spy-Smurf".

Good luck, eh? Wink

keNt
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you are interested I can give some information. All positions require atleast some English and most require some Russian. They gauge your language on a scale from 1-5. My position, for example, is English-5 (fluent) and Russian-2 (limited working). The Russian guards that I supervise require English-2 and Russian-4. There are, however, exceptions as they made one for me as my Russian isn't up to the required standard. Most positions are full-time. The lowest paying job I've seen (janitor) pays higher than any English-teaching job I've seen. The Embassy in Moscow has many positions available while the Consulate in St. Petersburg has only a few (I wasn't interested in the other Consulates).

Last edited by Communist Smurf on Thu May 20, 2004 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so jealous I could vomit. Evil or Very Mad The only thing better would be a consulate job in St. Petersburg.

Of course you should stay. Why not? The point of this forum is to share information about teaching English. Anyone who has taught English has valuable information for others, even if he is no longer teaching. I haven't been teaching English for over a year now.
jeremyschaar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: stay Reply with quote

thought I'd identify the 6th yes vote. of course you should stay. I'm feelin' good about my teaching position just now, but I may be in touch as summer approaches. Thanks very much for the heads up!
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. If there's any inside info you hear about, maybe you can throw it our way, like surprise incursions or wire tapping of the Kremlin. Do you get to pack a gun in your job?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: The Spy Who Shagged You Reply with quote

At this point I have no inside info, I'm still the "new guy." Or were you referring to the inner-workings of the Kremlin? Oh, well, my full-time job is still just a guard. Espionage is only my hobby. Cool

Nope, no gun. Don't tell anyone, but I bring a water-pistol with me to work just in case something "goes down." Like Russian guards falling asleep. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: