Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Find a place to live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EctoPLaSm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Find a place to live Reply with quote

Hello,

I plan to go to Taiwan in March. How can I find an apartment before that time? Is it difficult to find a apartment, not too expensive, and nice ("just nice" will do). But I guess it's better finding a cheap hotel or hostel in Taiwan first, and then look for an apartment while I am in Taiwan? Is it difficult? How much luck do you need to find an apartment within, say, a week or 2 weeks maybe? What are prices of apartments? (in Taipei city or near Taipei city).

Bye,

Koen,
The Netherlands
brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably best to wait until you get here.

If you want something lined up before you arrive then maybe a share accomodation with other foreigners might be the best way to go. Aside from that most employers will help you find a place. A self contained, studio apartment (room with bathroom but with or without kitchen) will set you back NTD10,000-15,000 in downtown Taipei. Cheaper the further away from the city you get. These are generally fully furnished with a bed, desk, TV and small fridge. Very basic but often clean and convenient.

Go for a six month lease (the minimum in most places) and don't pay any more than a two month security deposit (which is standard).

Having a Chinese speaker help you out is a good idea, hence the employer info mentioned before.
EctoPLaSm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, brian. So I could save some money by looking for an apartment just outside Taipei City. Like Sanchung maybe, at the other side of the river...?

Are there in or near Taipei city any hotels that are cheap, but just good enough to spend several weeks there? Can someone provide me with some hotel name(s)?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Koen
surrealia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page should help you in finding hotels and apartments:

http://www.geocities.com/allhou/teachaccom.htm

Also, you might find some good leads here:

http://www.forumosa.com/3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=03707fb8ece768262f5f72859dda7d86
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: