Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

futile return ticket for visa purposes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For goodness sake Jason, give it up. Your attempts to argue the matter are becoming extremely feeble. Refer back to the original discussion that we had on this matter or just scroll back up this thread. My position is very clear on this matter and has not changed. The fact that a fellow Canadian encountered the very problem that I predicated could be encountered has definitely vindicated my position on this matter.

The standard procedure is that one needs on ongoing ticket to come to Taiwan. Of course it is obviously possible to get around this, as both yourself and Pop Fly have done. No one has ever suggested that you were making this up. The fact remains however, that whilst it is possible to do this, it is very unpredictable and not necessarily advisable for everyone. It�s really as simple as that.

jason_seeburn wrote:
but you've met some people, who you now consider to be the majority of the people

No they are most certainly not the majority, and I never said nor indicated that they were. Where do you get this stuff?!

jason_seeburn wrote:
It's even more clear who is unaware that there are no procedures on Taiwan for this, just visa issuing procedures in Canada and the USA. I wonder if you have ever stopped to think WHY they want you to have a return ticket when they issue you a visa, but they don't care whether or not you have one once you land on the island. I won't tell you, because I want you to think (seems like something you don't do a lot). Maybe I'll tell you later.

Read my initial posts as I have already answered this.

jason_seeburn wrote:
Note: to anyone who cares: does it not seem strange that the two people who have done something are saying over and over again that it CAN be done, and two other people who have never done something before, but are sure it can't be done, are saying over and over again that the two people who have done it, are wrong, and couldn't have done it? I am starting to wonder about Brian's sanity.

Nobody has ever said that it can�t be done. The discussion is over whether it should be done. You have obviously completely missed the point once again. No wonder you claimed to have �won� the discussion when it was clear to everyone that you were in fact sadly lagging behind the rest of the posters.

jason_seeburn wrote:
They can't stop you at the check in counter in Canada. Canada is not Taiwan. Nobody can stop you from leaving. We are not a communist country. He was probably advised that he needed a return booked flight by some idiot who didn't know what they were doing, and he never bothered to argue. When you fly to Tawian, you don't need to book your open return in advance for the end of your tourist visa.

Are you serious? Of course an airline can stop you from boarding one of their flights. They are a private company and as such they can refuse passengers for any reason whatsoever. It�s got nothing to do with Taiwan, it has got to do with their policy. Why do you think that they ask to see your passport at check in and not just your ticket? One reason is that the carrier accepts a certain degree of responsibility for the paying passengers that it chooses to carry. Should they allow an individual to fly to a country without the appropriate visa or ability to obtain a visa (landing visa) then that passenger may be refused entry to that country and the carrier may be obliged to fly them out of the country at the cost of the carrier. Having policies for checking visas and return tickets is obviously a policy that some airlines have instituted as a way to protect themselves from these unnecessary costs.

Other than the relevant authorities, I don�t disagree that no one could stop you from leaving your own country, but in the absence of an airline that was willing to carry you, you would no doubt have a hell of a difficult time flying to Taiwan on your own.

jason_seeburn wrote:
This discussion is just getting sillier and sillier.

Finally something that I agree with you on!!

Jason I am sure that I am not the only one who is tired of your tantrums and insults. If you can�t keep your discussion above a certain level of dignity then please refrain from making posts on this board. Insults do not help your efforts at proving your point nor are they even mildly amusing. As a supposed lawyer to be you are not really showing a lot of decorum.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

js

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason please read my recent post on Ticket Requirements for entry into Taiwan for answers to the questions that you have raised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: