Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When an employer requires a "demo video"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarenMarie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: When an employer requires a "demo video"... Reply with quote

What are they looking for? Does this specifically mean a video of you teaching in front of a classroom? I am confused because the job ad I spotted it on specified either TESOL certification OR experience. What would they want, and what would they be looking for?
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you supply a bit more information about the school? Also what country is the school in? How is the request phrased? This information can help us answer your question with more insight. The more you can tell us, the better.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, country and school information would be handy!
It may simply be a precautionary measure to ensure that your teaching would be suitable for your employer.
In China, you sometimes have to give a trial lesson. I routinely wheedle wages out of them if they want this to be done by me, but I can't get it every time.
They have their mindset on what's "good teaching", even though good teaching would be anything different from their own one.
In oral classes, it's students that have the last word, in general!
KarenMarie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherri & Roger,

here you go: Smile

Positions of Kogakusha Group (as per advertisement on Sydney Morning Herald on 18/10/2003)
Kogakusha is group of English schools in Tokyo, Kanagawa and Osaka area in Japan. Currently they have many positions available of each division and please indicate code of position when you apply. Basically each division teaches from early childhood to adult and we seek
applicants who are keen to teach young children. We welcome people of I LOVE KIDS.

Name of division Location Description
Prince Eibei Gakuin(PEG) Tokyo, Kanagawa, Osaka From early childhood (including baby course) to adult
ELC Tokyo, Kanagawa, Osaka teach English at kindergarten or day care centre
Prince Kids(PRI) Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba English lesson for elementary and junior high school ages
Shichida Child Academy(SCA) Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama From early childhood to elementary(0-10 years old)

Position code Details Application
No.1(Kanagawa) PEG Sagamihara campus
open
No.2(Kanagawa) PEG Tsunashima campus
open
No.3(Kawasaki, Kanagawa) PEG Shin-maruko campus
open
No.4(Tokyo West) PEG Centre South campus
open
No.5(Yokohama, Kanagawa) PEG Tama Plaza campus
open
No.6(Osaka) PEG Takatsuki campus
open
No.7(Osaka) PEG Senri Chou campus
open
No.8(Kanto area) ELC Kanto
open
No.9(Kansai area) ELC Kansai
open
No.10(Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba) PRI
open
No.11(Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama) SCA
open
Please specify position code when you apply

Application:

Please send you C/V by post or e-mail.
Please include your photo and date of birth in C/V.
Australia Study Network
8 Pickford Ave, Eastwood, NSW 2122
[email protected]

Procedure of application:
Step 1. Select candidates by C/V.
Step 2. We require demo video (VHS PAL system) from those candidates who passes C/V selection.
Step 3. We require candidates to sign the employment contract to finalize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, here is the job posting to go with it:

Teaching Position in Japan- URGENT!!

Posted By: Australia Study Network <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, 16 November 2003, at 7:49 a.m.

We require ESL teachers who love teaching young children to adults.
Job starts February-April 2004 and there are many positions available in Tokyo and Osaka area.

Basic conditions:
1. Salary range: 280,000 yen to 285,000 gross per month(10 % tax to be deducted).

2. Location: either in Tokyo area or Osaka area.

3. Start date: February or March 2004.

4. Period of contract: 12 months

5. Air fare: subsidized

6. Accommodation: Fully furnished apartment for single person can be arranged
with reasonable rent.

7. Qualification required:

Bachelor's Degree.

TESOL or teaching experience at local school.

Enthusiasm to teach young children.

8. Visa: We sponsor business viza in Japan.

9. Remarks: We prefer Australian or New Zealander.

10. More details: visit our website http://www.austudy.net/hotlist.htm

Applicant should send CV including photo to: [email protected]

Do not miss the chance !!

Australia Study Network

Thanks. Let me know what you think.
shmooj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't worry too much about being up to their standard of English. They can't spell visa on a job ad. And what exactly do they mean by "We welcome people of I LOVE KIDS"?

Anyway - I'm nitpicking Wink Something that is more crucial for you is that they specifiy a VHS PAL video. This is because you have to apply to Australia. I have read some of your other posts Karen and I take it you are from the US. Are you there now? If you are, you will have to get the video converted from the US system to the PAL system which is used in Europe and Australia/NZ. This could be pretty expensive depending on the length of your video.

FWIW, you seem to have to jump through some hoops here for a position which is a fairly standard one. Of course, you are free to do what you want, but it seems to me that there are plenty of other schools out there offering similar conditions without the hoops to jump through. Sure the salary is above average but you will be based in a major city where the extra 30,000 yen above the standard 250,000 is not going to go that far.

BTW, they say "TESOL or teaching experience" and by this I don't think they mean TESOL qualification but rather experience of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Langauges.

Hope this is helpful to you
nomadder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feed the animals. Wink
Sherri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you decide to apply, KarenMarie? I agree with the above posters, I think it is a lot of trouble to go to, mainly because of the video system. Are you in Australia? If so it might be OK. I wonder if asking for PAL system is indirectly trying to limit the pool of applicants to Australians. They don't even have a multisystem video system!

I think that once you pass the cv stage and they ask you to make the video you are entitled to ask a few more questions, like how long the video should be and if they have any preferences over level of students, but basically I think they just want to see you in action, teaching.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
KarenMarie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherri,

I haven't applied yet, but I haven't ruled it out, either.

I haven't seen this request on any other employment ads.

I do live in the USA.

Making a video would be difficult for me since I am not currently teaching. However, since I live in a border town with a large Hispanic population, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of trying to arrange a teaching session at a local Mexican daycare, just so I could have something to film. Cool
Sherri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some way of converting the video to PAL? I think some electronics shops may do it for a fee. As for the actual taping, try to get a friend who knows a bit about teaching to be your "cameraman", don't just set up a video in the back of the class. At the beginning of the tape, consider talking a bit about your class, their level, how well you know the students etc and your lesson aims. Then at the end of the lesson clip, maybe a few words about how it went for you and the class and how well you achieved your aims.
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly doubt they are looking for a video of you in class itself. Actually, don't they have any guidelines for you? If not, I'd be inclined to think that they want a video of you talking to the camera, talking about yourself as a person and a teacher and explaining why you would be a good candidate to work for them.

TO be honest, watching someone teach is really really boring if you know little of the context or what is going on. It would probably not sell you very well.
Sherri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A demo video implies to me that they want a demonstration of teaching. It is really not that uncommon. See the link below for a related discussion.

http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej10/f1.html
shmooj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, now I re-read it I see that it does say "demo" in the ad. Hmmm, yep, I'd go with that.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: cheapo Reply with quote

This may be common in Japan but I have never heard of an employer asking for a demo video. It seems to me that they are trying to recruit with minimum expense. They are handing over tyhe work of selection and interviewing to you, the candidate. Is this a good sign ?
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a demo video would be a good way for employers to select teachers if a face to face interview were not possible. From the ad it looks like the employer is based in Australia. So by asking teachers to send in a sample of their teaching seems a (more) responsible way to recruit someone sight unseen. It also makes candidates who are not able to attend an interview in which they might give a demo lesson eligible to apply. I don't see how it hands over the work of selection and interviewing to the candidate. It is just one more piece of information for the selection committee to use before making their decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: