Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best of the Republic of Macedonia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saren

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: The Best of the Republic of Macedonia? Reply with quote

The Best of the Republic of Macedonia?

I am both looking for, and providing information about Macedonia. Please read the growing list below (compiled through personal research done on the internet). Please add, or edit items to list as you see fit. If you live in Macedonia, or consider yourself an expert on the country then please contribute your tips, hints, and favourites based on the criteria listed below. Once complete, this list should help visitors find exactly "the very best in Macedonia".

PLEASE only respond to this thread if you're interested in helping to edit or contribute items to the list. Thank you.

CRITERIA for LIST:
-memorable/dramatic scenery & landscape photography. Where to find the best (viewpoints, vistas, city views, panoramas, skylines, sunsets, etc..)?
-the unique outdoors, hikes/hilltops/lookouts, and amazing views?
-lovely/charming streets, cute villages, hidden nooks/places, and magnificent/attractive architecture?
-authentic/unforgettable "local" travel experiences (i.e. non-typical, interesting/special experiences (full of original character), and unique only to the local area).
-the best freebies (museums, galleries excluded)
-specialty/unique regional cuisine/gastronomy (or the BEST places to eat (w/ local's prices, food made with love/regional favorites, and not too many tourists eating there)),
-anything else off-the beaten path.

Thanks again

--------
MACEDONIA

-Orhid, Plaoshnik, Samuil, National Park Galicica,
-Struga ?
-Skopje, Kur�umli An, Kale, Carsija, Vodno view (Pantelejmon), Sveti Kliment, Mustapha Pasha, Matka (Mechkina dupka restaurant), Aqueduct
-Tetovo, Bal Tepe
-Kumanovo, Staro Nagoricane,
-Bitola, Pelister, Shirok Sokak, Heraklea, Brajčino (hiking), Slivnica Beach
-Berovo,
-Prilep, Markovi Kuli,
-Pehcevo,
-Kriva Palanka, St. Joakim Osogovski
-Veles,
-Kratovo,
-Stip, Bargala, Kale Fortress Isar
-Strumica, Mt. Belasica and waterfalls of Smolare and Kolesino, Vodoca and Veljusa monasteris, Lebljebedzijska nightlife,

Cuisine: Boza, Kavadarka and Smederevka and Skopsko beer, Gjuvech, Pastrmajlija, Sarma, Selsko Meso, Tavche Gravche, Turli Tava, Pogacha, Zelnik, Sutlijash, Pindzhur.

And finally, is T-mbolie in Macedonia (starting with 070, 071) the cheapest option for prepay with cellphone?
travellingscot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there on a passport stamping mission from Bulgaria about 3 years ago. Nobody should go anywhere near the country without visiting both Ochrid [Town and lake] and Matka [National park/nature reserve]. There was a tourist agency opposite the bus station in Ochrid which got me a cheapish flat. A minibus service ran down to Sv Noam from where it was a short walk across the border to Albania, in my case for a coffee and a different passport stamp. A little old man in a rowing boat provided a short trip with a different view of Sv Noam for lovely photographs. Ochrid itself was a wonderfully scenic and fairly tranquil place, although I was told that at holiday times lots of rich kids zoom down from Skopje and liven it up. Bear in mind that as my trip was made with my now wife, the romantically charged circumstances may have clouded my judgement !
Matka was a bus trip from Skopje, but I cannot remember which bus number or the fields to cross from the bus stop. There was a direct bus but I thought my wife , being a city girl,would appreciate the adventure -- small mistake.The scenery there was also wonderfully spectacular with steep ravines and narrow paths in places.
Hope this is the sort of thing you were looking for.
csfek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Ohrid is really beautiful and if you are there, you should also check out Struga which is nearby. It's on a river (can't remember which one) and it's a really cute little town. You can get a cab from Ohrid to Struga for pretty cheap.
Also, I agree about Lake Matka, it is really pretty, and there is a restaurant there that isn't too bad either!
I think the OP mentioned Tetovo, as well. Tetovo isn't that pretty, but it has a few interesting things to see there, like the painted mosque, and the old town is kind of cute. Not far from Tetovo is a little town called Leshok that has a rebuilt church that's really beautiful.
I also recommend walking to the top of Mt. Vodno, if you have the chance. You can drive up too. There's a monastery on Vodno that's beautiful as well, called Sveti Pantalemon, with a restaurant there.
Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: