Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An American Interested in Teaching in Romania

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacannella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: An American Interested in Teaching in Romania Reply with quote

Hi, I am thinking of living and working in Romania with an eye on possibly settling there for the long term. I have an MA TESOL and 20 plus years teaching experience in Europe, Asia and the Middle East mainly to adults and university students. I have no US public school cert so I can't teach at international schools.

Is it possible for me to legally live and teach in Romania as a US citizen and what sort of salary can I earn? I need to earn enough to rent a decent 2 bedroom flat (preferably in a late 19th/early 20th century building), live a comfortable life in Romania and afford decent healthcare in my later years.

I am interested in cities like Bucharest, Cluj, Basrov, and Timoasora. Are these good teaching destinations? When is a good time to come and job hunt? I am essentially looking at Romania as a potential retirement destination down the road so I will also look into the real estate market while I am there.

Jeff
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jeff,

I'll take your questions one at a time. I'm not from the US so I can't be particularly specific about the regulations involved. I'm also referring largely to Bucharest - for other cities, salaries, but also rents, will be a little lower.

Is it possible for me to legally live and teach in Romania as a US citizen and what sort of salary can I earn?

Yes, you can legally live here. Once you've found a job (that's the hard part, as many regular schools prefer EU citizens as the paperwork is easier) you can apply for the work and residence permits. Salaries vary a lot. State school teachers net as little as $300 per month. Some international schools pay 1500-2000 Euro.

I need to earn enough to rent a decent 2 bedroom flat (preferably in a late 19th/early 20th century building), live a comfortable life in Romania and afford decent healthcare in my later years.

There aren't too many late 19th century blocks of flats. You might find something from the 1930s. Previous to that, the buildings are mostly villas or wagon-style residences. The majority of flats that are available for rent are in the communist era blocks or new builds. IF you're lucky, you might find a converted villa but you'll pay more for that. A normal two-bedroom flat can rent out for around 300-500 Euro/month depending on the area. Something in a converted villa in an upmarket neighbourhood could cost more.

A comfortable life can mean different things to different people but I would say I'm comfortable. I don't work too hard, enjoy a variety of lessons, like all my students, have plenty of flexibility, can comfortably pay all the bills and save up, eat well, and take time off whenever I like. However, I don't have expensive tastes and am debt free.

Healthcare here isn't great so you'd have to pay for a private health plan. There are plenty of medical centres around. Costs vary depending on the level of cover you want but essentially you should expect to pay for everything to some degree.

I am interested in cities like Bucharest, Cluj, Basrov, and Timoasora. Are these good teaching destinations?

Bucharest obviously has the better opportunities, especially when it comes to schools. The other cities you mention are all university towns, so that might offer some options. There aren't as many language schools in Romania as there are in other countries in the region. There's quite an emphasis on English in the schools and private lessons are common so most kids know English quite well by the time they graduate. If you're looking at a language school job, you could check out the likes of Echo or Lexis, but salaries maybe be low and/or inconsistently paid.

When is a good time to come and job hunt?

Academic year is the same as elsewhere in Europe, but in summer lots of places close down so getting in contact with schools might be difficult. I'd probably start approaching places before the end of the previous academic year (April/May).

I am essentially looking at Romania as a potential retirement destination down the road so I will also look into the real estate market while I am there.

Being able to own my own properties, mortgage-free, was one of the things that kept me here. Property prices are still quite reasonable (although some neighbouring countries are cheaper) but I like it here. Plus the language is a lot easier which makes it easier to integrate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: