Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm sorry William Gates, Aeon cannot hire you.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: I'm sorry William Gates, Aeon cannot hire you. Reply with quote

Hola!

In technical terms, the wealthiest man in the world, Bill Gates cannot becaome an ESL teacher. Why? He has no college degree. He is a college drop out. Korea and Japan would not allow him employment.

The Senor can. I graduated. So, I can get a job teaching in the Far East and maybe the Middle east with no other qualification.

Who is smarter of us two? Who could do the job better? Sorry Senor(me), I vote Bill, how about you?

Bill dropped out of Harvard, the best college in the USA and probably the world (my apologies to Yaleies). I graduated from a second tier state University with a liberal arts degree with grades which would stink up Yankee stadium. I can, Bill cannot. So is a parchment a reliable guidepost to employment after all?

So, the question is, what makes an excellent ESL teacher? A TEFL, TESL, CELTA, DELTA degree? Someone with imagination with no direction? How does a creative soul become profitable in this business? I do not believe ESL is a dead end, the career is for those people who are truly interested in living in a far off land. A free spirit so to speak.

So, how does one cut it in this field? A forum for debate no doubt.

SENOR
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, Bill Gates is a computer geek. He would probably make a lousy teacher.

I agree that a piece of paper does not a teacher make. My mother never did finish her degree. I still hear comments from former students on what a wonderful teacher she was - and she's been dead for thirteen years.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senor,

You are asking 2 separate questions here.

1. Who is legally employable in the eyes of Japanese immigration?
2. What makes a good ESL/EFL teacher? (Who would make a better teacher, someone with or without a degree/lots of money?)

apples and oranges
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Japanese Immigration? Reply with quote

Why does Japanese immigration sound like an oxymoron to me? lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
denise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor--

Interesting topic! (And, might I add, approached with a good deal of tact--the "qualifications" debate can get pretty mean-spirited.)

The way that you have presented the scenario--you vs. Mr. Gates--you seem to be presenting polar opposites, extreme cases. Let's assume that Mr. Gates has a true affinity for teaching, great people skills, an understanding of foreign languages, etc., but just lacks those crucial bits of paper that says he studied those things at an accredited institution. And let's say you... or rather, our other candidate... (I don't want to imply anything about you!) has every qualification imaginable--BA in Education, TEFL, DELTA, MA. PhD, MBA, etc., etc., has published countless articles and books and given numerous presentations, and frankly just sucks in the classroom. Has no empathy, is dull, doesn't care, etc.

In such a case, immigration laws aside, I'd choose the first candidate every time. In reality, though, I'd say the majority of the teachers out there fall somewhere in the middle. Unless the candidate were simply "a natural," whatever that means, or had some other life experiences to replace a formal education, I would hesitate to hire someone without at least a BA and a TEFL certificate, as those things would at the very least indicate a) a familiarity with educational settings and b) some attempt on the candidate's part to "follow the rules."

On the other hand, I would also hesitate to hire someone with qualifications up the wazoo unless he/she could convince me of his/her passion for and dedication to teaching.

So, after a long-winded ramble of a reply, I have to take the "easy" way out of the debate and say that a balance of qualifications and "skills" is ideal.

d
Mosley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Ill-educated losers, all.... Reply with quote

Here are a few dolts that never had a university degree: Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Harry S. Truman, Winston Churchill...there are many others....
Deborann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Bill Gates is a nerd Reply with quote

Bill Gates couldn't become an ESL or any other teacher because he didn't have the social skills to complete his degree. He had plenty of creative, analytical and nerd type skills, but he had and possibly still has, zero social skills to be able to figure out what is required in writing for, presenting for and putting in the 'people' practical stuff for a degree in any 'people' area.

Teaching is primarily an area that requires huge people skills. Content stuff is secondary importance - useful, but unless you have the ability to understand the way people learn, their motivations and foibles, then no matter how well versed you are in your content area, you can't teach.

PS - what's this stuff about Yale? UQ is where the real academics sit! Laughing
Jen2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Senor Boogie Woogie that there are a lot of second rate schools in the U.S.A. TEFL would be a better industry is there weren't so many second rate American teachers out there with low grade B.A.s getting them their visas.

But Bill Gates would be a poor EFL teacher.

So I guess Senor actually proves his own point is in error: the system does work!

Jen
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Not just Japan, anywhere. Reply with quote

I am not just mentioning Japan, anywhere, China, Korea or the Middle East. Gates could not legally get a job teaching at a Wonderland in Korea. I think that if my mother was a younger person, she would of made an excellent teacher, but she only has a high school diploma.

So, what makes a good instructor?
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Not just Japan, anywhere. Reply with quote

I am not just mentioning Japan, anywhere, China, Korea or the Middle East. Gates could not legally get a job teaching at a Wonderland in Korea. I think that if my mother was a younger person, she would of made an excellent teacher, but she only has a high school diploma.

SENOR
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Not just Japan, anywhere. Reply with quote

SENOR
FGT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who knows the difference between "would of" and "would have" for a start, might be able to teach English!
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Not just Japan, anywhere. Reply with quote

SENOR
FGT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a record? Same post posted four times? Obviously English language teaching ability has nothing to do with other skills!
Jen2003

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor BW,

I wish EFL teaching had MORE hurldles for people to get in. Employers often just look for short term cheap labour.

THat's why there are professional associations. Professionals (rather than employers) ensure the quality of their industry.

Imagine if a Korean hagwon owner had total power over an airline or medical clinic Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: