Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudi Medical
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griff-James

Location: A place full of 18 year olds and endless ale. Not not this time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Saudi Medical Reply with quote

What does the Saudi medical involve?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a medical for the visa. Some employers also epect you to do their own medical. When I went to work for the Airline I had the same medical as flight crew - and passed !

The medical for a visa varies depending on what country you are in.
The one in London includes I think blood test for AIDS and Hepatitis. There is an X-ray for TB.
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually takes about 2 weeks but there are some places you can go and pay a few hundred dollars/pounds to get it done within a few days. I think you can get the forms from the saudi embassy website.
windstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What does the Saudi medical involve?

As for Canada, you go through HIV/AIDS, Hep A, B, C, Venereal diseases, X-ray and other urine and blood tests. They also check your eyes and ears if you can properly see and hear when they yell at you. Smile
Many of them are not covered by provincial health insurance, expect to pay about five hundred dollars and it takes 15 to 20 days to get all the results, after that, they have to be authenticated by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (or any other province) before submitting to the Cultural Bureau of Saudi Arabia in Ottawa.
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
As for Canada, you go through HIV/AIDS, Hep A, B, C, Venereal diseases, X-ray and other urine and blood tests. They also check your eyes and ears if you can properly see and hear when they yell at you.
Many of them are not covered by provincial health insurance, expect to pay about five hundred dollars and it takes 15 to 20 days to get all the results, after that, they have to be authenticated by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (or any other province) before submitting to the Cultural Bureau of Saudi Arabia in Ottawa.

In Quebec, if you have the health card, you can get all of the above done for $100 (doctors` special time to fill in all the forms and the visit) + $40 for the authentication by the College des Medecins du Quebec - total cost was $140 for me. It took about 6 weeks for everything, and I was delayed because the lab. or someone at the clinic lost some of my results (lab results). All the above tests were done, but curiously, nothing was done with regards to cholesterol.

The visit to the doctor was a bit of a joke. He took my blood pressure (120/80) and then poked around a bit, and asked me to read a few letters on the wall. That was it. What took time was doing all the lab tests.

Ghost
windstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I do have coverage from RAM Quebec but I could not find a doctor to do the medicals so I had to go to Ontario to get them done. As said, labs take time.
I was just wondering how long you had to wait after you have submitted your papers to the Saudi Embassy in Ottawa?
mistral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: medical Reply with quote

The medical is done according to the embassy's requirements. It can be quite strict nowadays, especially in the UK I hear. If they decide to contact your GP, expect to have to wait a while for the results. They'll want to do a chest xray even if you've already had one done recently. Mine was 2 months old. They didn't accept it.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, I do have coverage from RAM Quebec but I could not find a doctor to do the medicals so I had to go to Ontario to get them done. As said, labs take time.
I was just wondering how long you had to wait after you have submitted your papers to the Saudi Embassy in Ottawa?

It took me about 3 months to get everything done from start in mid May to now (mid August). It takes time, and I had several days for the lab. tests, and the medical visits as well as the chest x rays.

Once you have all the documentation, you send it to the Cultural Mission in Ottawa, who then send on the stuff to the Saudi Embassy - if everything is in order, the process (at least in my case, once I had all the papers and documents) was fast - a matter of days. What took time for me was getting all the transcripts and the authentication of my American degrees.

Ghost
windstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Hep A positive which is because of the vaccine I had some years back. Yet, I don't know if it constitutes any problem in obtaining my visa in Canada. Cultural Bureau said they do not want to see any positive results on the forms. Any suggestions?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try a search. I recall discussions of the problems with positive Hep findings.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't use the antibodies check for Hep A or Hep B precisely because people who have been vaccinated would show positive.
windstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, it was written as positive and in the explanation section, it says this is because "the patient is immune to Hep A". yet, the saudi embassy wants the doctor to write an explanation for this finding, I went to the doctor today, he said "lab's explanation is self-explanatory, a doctor's handwriting is not any better than that finding." Yet, he had to bow to saudi's request and gave me a handwritten note with his letterhead on it.
tvik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had hep a 12 years ago, what does that mean? i won't pass the medical?
windstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your doctor to write you are immune to Hep A. This will open the doors for you as it did for me.
megone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the medical form from the Saudi embassy in the US, but it looks like another medical exam may be required once arriving in the KSA for some jobs. How extensive is the exam done in the KSA, i.e., what exactly do they check, particularly for women?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: